See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Ramp/Practicing Tools

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Ramp/Practicing Tools

Greetings Board, and a late happy new year!

I'm an intermediate player that has recently switched from Hi-Lo to the Balanced Zen with 1D TC for index purposes. One question I have about it is how it will affect my betting ramp. I don't have any software or don't know a good place to look into it, so if somebody is bored I'd love if they could give me a sample ramp or point me in the direction of a site that calculates that. I don't have a particular game in a mind, but I plan on playing something to the tune of 6D, 75-80% pen, S17 or H17 (hopefully S), not sure how much of a difference that makes for ramp, and ideally DOA, DAS, and maybe Surrender. Mainly I was concerned because the true count values are gunna end up roughly double those of hi-lo so I wasn't sure if a zen ramp would perhaps not get as much money out until +2, and after that increase pretty rapidly.

I've been poring over the historical threads in BJinfo and this site, and also have been reading Wong, Blackwood, and Snyder's books, though I find them to be a bit antiquated in terms of today's conditions. Some cover related things that interest me include two hands at lower counts (to eat cards and also to reduce spread if I Wong in at positive counts) and then going up from there as I win. Really i just want to have a large spread but have it be relatively disguised in the form of "letting it ride" and spreading hands, so maybe keep that in mind when figuring a spread for me. On a side note, I really want to be able to practice counting in a realistic fashion but I don't know if I can dish out the $90 for Verite, so does anybody know of any other "Lite" versions of similar software that might be free or cheaper?

Thanks in advance,

Bram

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    High-Low and Zen are not equal, you cannot use the same ramps or you will be vastly overbetting with Zen. With Zen most players make their middle bet at +5 and their top bet at +9. (Zen 5 = High-Low 3 and Zen 9 = High-Low +5). For more exact numbers you should use a program like CVCX to generate the exact ramp.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
    High-Low and Zen are not equal, you cannot use the same ramps or you will be vastly overbetting with Zen. With Zen most players make their middle bet at +5 and their top bet at +9. (Zen 5 = High-Low 3 and Zen 9 = High-Low +5). For more exact numbers you should use a program like CVCX to generate the exact ramp.
    I think you mean underbetting not overbetting but you don't want to do either. There is a tool in the BJ Resources in the tool bar above that might help you, Bram. Click on BJ Resources in the tool bar above. Click on CVCX in the next tool bar. Select the inputs you play and an optimal ramp is generated for playall. If you want wonging you need something more versatile. You want to make sure you are using the version that stretches out the whole over more TC's both your system and the input for generating the ramp.
    Last edited by Three; 01-12-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Thanks for the responses bigplayer and Tthree, I think what you are referring me to tthree would be pretty helpful, but unfortunately it doesn't fill out the optimal bet or win rate for me. I'm on CVCX Online and put in the inputs, but it only shows the Score and the percentage of time in each count because I don't have a password. I'm also not positive the 1980 Zen is what I'm using exactly, but either way I think if I dig a little deeper in the forums I can find a ramp.