Thread: Sluggish response

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Sluggish response

Apologies, the site will be sluggish for a bit. My host is under a very heavy denial of service attack.

EDIT: More than just sluggish. All my sites were appearing and disappearing. Even hit The Register in the UK: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12...downs_website/
    Last edited by Norm; 12-10-2014 at 04:15 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Thanks for the heads up. I thought there was something wrong with my computer!

Glad to see its back up and running, interesting that it was a DDOS attack. In the last month or two, there's been a TON of DDOS attacks coming out of China and North Korea at "large" companies, websites, etc. and their hosts.

Blog Entries

Yes. But, if I had to make a wild guess, and it is wild, I would bet on Anonymous striking out at random because of the large raid in Sweden.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Not only that, but the latest Win 7 update broke my wired network connection. Can only connect via wifi, and it also broke the Windows diagnostic tests. Suppose they'll fix it in another few days...

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Yes. But, if I had to make a wild guess, and it is wild, I would bet on Anonymous striking out at random because of the large raid in Sweden.
    I highly, wholly doubt they are the culprit here. That kind of response seems "beneath" them. If anything, in a situation like this, that Sweden raid would draw a response against Government sites and data servers, which you and I both know aren't exactly "public domain" territory, nor are they hosted and/or stored "outside" the realm of government grasp.

You can go to IP Viking, hosted by Norse and check out the current attacks going on in real time and you'll get what I mean. Also, if you know where you site is hosted, geographically, you can probably pinpoint where the attack is coming from (most likely china).

Blog Entries

Nothing is "beneath" Anon. They attack sites they have found vulnerable often without rhyme or reason when they get angry about something, often completely unrelated. The guitarist for ELO was jailed a couple days ago for taking part in an Anonymous backed DDoS attack against MasterCard that made no sense.

Again, just a very wild guess. But, a DDoS attack against 19 million domains, mostly small, makes no sense at all, except in the minds of angry people striking out at random.

No prob, norm...I'll anxiously be waiting for my refund of 0.0986301369 of a dollar for the lost day of access. Please make it in pesos, por favor
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Nothing is "beneath" Anon. They attack sites they have found vulnerable often without rhyme or reason when they get angry about something, often completely unrelated. The guitarist for ELO was jailed a couple days ago for taking part in an Anonymous backed DDoS attack against MasterCard that made no sense.

Again, just a very wild guess. But, a DDoS attack against 19 million domains, mostly small, makes no sense at all, except in the minds of angry people striking out at random.
    Depends on whether you're referring to Anon itself, or those attempting to catch notice of Anon. Usually any attack by Anon is followed by a public message spurred from some kind of political interest or unrest.

Point is, as it sits right now, the Chinese and Koreans have (over the last 6-7 weeks) begun massive attacks against US data centers, including the likes of EA, Blizzard Entertainment, Sony Digital, and so forth which interrupted hundreds of millions of gamers worldwide through various games like CoD, WoW, Dota, LoL, etc. Reddit was on fire talking about it pretty recently.

Blog Entries

Thanks metro. Thing is, it drives me nuts when my sites are down. Goes back to my days decades ago when I ran university mainframes and knew that every second we were down, there were large numbers of frustrated students, and researchers, pissed as hell as they were on deadlines to produce results. I empathized with every moment of all of their frustrations. There are forums where members think this is all in good fun. And that is a sad demonstration of where human nature can go awry.

No big deal with my sites. But, my host handles millions of sites down for 12 hours. Think of the totality of human frustration and waste of effort. For no reason that anyone has put forth.

Blog Entries

Thanks Exoter. I do have some experience with attacks over the last half-century. This site, at this moment, is under attack from an IP in Connecticut. About every two seconds. We are always under attack and I have to pay for the extra processing power as well as the time to block IPs. I am aware of the attacks against Sony, et. al. I’m a bit skeptical that they are North Korean because it is easy to stop such attacks, and North Korea kinda admitted it. And, they always lie. As for Anon, they are very loosely organized and often make silent attacks. Generally speaking, they are also often arrogant and ignorant of the abilities of law enforcement.

Thanks Exoter. I do have some experience with attacks over the last half-century. This site, at this moment, is under attack from an IP in Connecticut. About every two seconds. We are always under attack and I have to pay for the extra processing power as well as the time to block IPs. I am aware of the attacks against Sony, et. al. I’m a bit skeptical that they are North Korean because it is easy to stop such attacks, and North Korea kinda admitted it. And, they always lie. As for Anon, they are very loosely organized and often make silent attacks. Generally speaking, they are also often arrogant and ignorant of the abilities of law enforcement.
    Where are your sites hosted? I've rarely seen any originating attacks come out of Connecticut, this piques my interest.

As it sits right now, the majority of "Inbound" attacks are coming from Hefei, China, through Chinanet Anhui province, on port 2222 and being targeted at Seattle and Kirksville data centers.

Blog Entries

Our server is in Pennsylvania. At the moment, a robot in Turkey is trying to guess the Admin account and password.