Thread: house edge inconsistency

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

house edge inconsistency

Hi, this is just a quick question that I hope is not too silly. Thanks.

I noticed the house edge provided by different sources differ somewhat, and the discrepancies apparently are not due to rounding off.

For example, for [ D6, H17, DAS, RSA ] Arnold Snyder's article (using Peter Griffin's Theory of Blackjack) gives 0.54, while it is 0.57 from some website.

(I just ordered my cv package a couple of days ago so haven't been able to run the sims myself)

The five sources I'm looking at are:
    http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/Calculating_the_House_Edge_for_Any_Blackjack_Rules _Set.htm#rules

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bjbse.p...rr=ns&peek=yes
    http://www.card-counting.com/blackja...calculator.htm
    http://www.svengaliblackjack.com/edgecalc.html
    http://www.beatingbonuses.com/houseedge.htm

The last two are exactly the same.
    (btw, for these last two, what does 'per unit wager' mean? I thought this house edge is assuming betting one unit at this very one hand at the top of the shoe....)

Please take a look at the attachment for the comparison. HouseEdge.pdf
    One would expect the numbers across a row to be the same 9within rounding error), but they are not.

Blog Entries

Two points:

1. Such calculators and tables generally add rule effects together to come to a total result. Only, rules interact. So, you can't add rule effects together.
    2. These calculators ignore the cut-card effect anyhow.

Which is to say, they are all wrong.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Which is to say, they are all wrong.
    I see....so how should one come up with the exact theoretical bet ramp? Using simulators? (btw, I actually got my cv package in mail not long after my original post :P now I just need some time to get familiar with it.)

I can imagine that using an incorrect house edge (new shoe) that is off by like 0.03% is probably secondary to other practical issues like rounding of the bets to multiples of $5 and rounding of the deck levels, etc.

However, the bet size around TC ~1 or 1.5 is pretty sensitive to the house edge assumed, which in turn determines when one would bet double of the table minimum (at TC = 2, TC = 2.5, or TC = 3).

Oh, I just noticed that for the last two sources (calculators) I shouldn't have unchecked the 'shuffle after each hand' option....my numbers in the attachment are all 0.02% too high.

I know what Norm said is true and these numbers are still wrong....just being pedantic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Mosby View Post
    I see....so how should one come up with the exact theoretical bet ramp? Using simulators? (btw, I actually got my cv package in mail not long after my original post :P now I just need some time to get familiar with it.)

I can imagine that using an incorrect house edge (new shoe) that is off by like 0.03% is probably secondary to other practical issues like rounding of the bets to multiples of $5 and rounding of the deck levels, etc.

However, the bet size around TC ~1 or 1.5 is pretty sensitive to the house edge assumed, which in turn determines when one would bet double of the table minimum (at TC = 2, TC = 2.5, or TC = 3).
    But, you still need to know the edge at each TC. These calculators wouldn't help you there even if they were correct.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse