Thread: How you doin? Rough & Tumble BJ

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

How you doin? Rough & Tumble BJ

When my paisans have a stag party or “booster” (party to raise money for a friend who is in need) they play a form of BJ we call “Rough and Tumble”. Maybe you have heard of it. Yesterday I went to such a party. It began with many “How you doin? How YOU doin?” a hug and 3 pats on the back follows and a kiss on the check for closer friends. After the pasta, sausage, greens and beans the game gets set up.
    A large table to hold the boss and 8 players. A crowd of 30 guys surround the table as spectators. Not an Irish guy in the crowd! The boss opens the deck, shuffles and starts dealing. First ace wins the deal. This guy can pass the deal to the guy on his left or set a bank. Sam got the Ace and set the bank at 1000. This means the 7 players can bet, but not exceed a total aggregate of 1000. So if the 1000 was covered on the original bets, there could be no double downs. You are allowed to DD on any 2 cards as long as it is within the bank. When Sam set the bank, the boss goes around the table asking if anyone wants to tap. A tap is a challenge for the 1000. Vince put up the 1000 and Sam shuffles, Vince cuts and Sam deals to Vince and of course Sam is the dealer and has one card up. There are no rules for dealers staying on anything. Vince won the hand and the Boss collects all the money and puts away 20 bucks for the groom. Sam challenges back and now has to put up 1980. Sam won taking one card, a 4 and Vince probably though it was a good hit so he hit a 15 and busted. Sam won with a 14. There were no more challenges so Sam started dealing with a bank of 3940 because another 20 went in the kitty for the groom. As Sam deals the boss slides each card to the players and oversees each play. cards are dealt face down. Sam got a 20 and 21 his first 2 rounds and won ALL bets twice. The bank was now about 7000. The next hand there was a BJ (Joe) who now has won the deal and can make a bank of whatever he wants, but will have to pass the deal if he doesn’t want to accept the challenge. Some of these games last all night and get crazy.
    I have only played in a few and that was when I could deal and my bank was small enough where the players couldn’t double down, or at least some of them. I made out good every time I did that. There probably is other ways to exploit a game like this, but I only see them once every 3-4 years. There are guys who get invited to these parties because they are “heavy hitters” and make the groom’s take pretty large.
    Any comments welcome and will probably be interesting. I doubt a sim could be run because of the free will of the dealer, taps and bank variables, but I bet some of you all come up with a way to exploit the game.
    Anyway “How you doin?”

Baberuth

Banned or Suspended

After a hug and 3 pats on the back and a kiss on the check, you are either just entered into a new relationship or have just been accepted into the mob.

I am not getting the "Not an Irish guy in the crowd" reference?

The game itself, sounds closer to poker than BJ.

Banned or Suspended

Dealer Edge is huge ! As he can prevent doubles and splits

while Hitting Soft 17 as he wishes and shuffle as he sees fit.

This is like Banking "Pai Gow Poker."

Same strategy, be the BANK as much as possible and

at other times bet as little as you can get away with.

KJ,

Santillo, Rago, Risolo, Taccone. Rotello. Siminetti, Giancurscio, Spanachcio, Scarpula, Tomasso, Giuliano, Campanero, Ruvio....off the top of my head. No Magee, Orielly etc. A very interesting game though.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Baberuth View Post
    KJ,

Santillo, Rago, Risolo, Taccone. Rotello. Siminetti, Giancurscio, Spanachcio, Scarpula, Tomasso, Giuliano, Campanero, Ruvio....off the top of my head. No Magee, Orielly etc. A very interesting game though.
    ok, I got ya now, Babe. Then I was right. You have just been accepted into the mob.

Flash, You are so right. I have been around this game for over 30 years. the only other thing I would add is many a winner is decided on the tap. This may be what KJ means about it being like poker because there is some bluffing. Dealer can hit ANYTHING he wants and they will hit a hard 17 more often than you think. Example: Yesterday dealer had face card up and 6 guys busted drawing and with the one guy staying pat the dealer hit his 17 and busted. The player turned over a 19 so it was the right play.
    Has anyone out there played Rough & Tumble? I think the next thing to consider is the house raking too much. If you stay too long, the rake eats up most of the guys. Most players are losers.

Yeah, biggest winner is going to be the house. If I were you I would host one of these every week if I could.

Very familiar with the game, Babe;it's been around since I was a kid, and at one time was the only form of BJ I knew See my thread "House Edge"; curious as to the house edge of the game. Basically the same game, even as far as the participants .

Same game Booker. there may be a few private games and like RWM says better to run them. There were illegal card rooms where these games went on often, but the main joints have been busted. The "fellas" playing there were mostly huge losers. They would win once in a while, but losing 25K was common for some. There one deck game was shuffled after every round because there were 7 players. The "shooters" were well known, some had successful jobs or owned restaurants. Shooters are often asked to go to "booster" parties free of charge. I know I could beat these guys, but these guys I don't want to be associated with. They are fun to have a drink with and hear their stories about their wild life, but that's it. Some have connections and can do "favors" or get favors done. At stag parties or boosters the house rake is huge. Players are often wearing nice rings, gold necklaces, open shirt and have their hundreds not folded, but in rolls sometimes in a thin rubber band. When the housed games were getting busted and becoming rare it was because A team and B team wars were going on which made the police bust them before they were pipe bombed. You had to know someone to get in the door which was barred after entering. There was always one or two fellas outside checking your credentials.

Baberuth

Babe, some things never change. Rubber band = Italian Money Clip; Gold necklaces, crosses, horns = Mr. T Starter Set. Same player backgrounds, plus the "sports accountants", but they all had one thing in common: they were mad at money.
    Last edited by BookerPA; 08-26-2012 at 06:28 AM.