Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859

Thread: Sharky's NFL play of the week

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    We're talking a decade apart. (1960 and 1970)
    Actually in 1960, I was a little young for diving. In 1970, I was breaking records.

Regarding Browns' texting violation:

1. I recently read that texting from front office personnel to coaches during a game is a violation of NFL rules. Why? How can texting create an unfair advantage?

2. Are team employees allowed to watch a broadcast/surf during a game (e.g. in the suites, parking lot, sideline)? Can they relay the info (extent of injuries, etc) to coaches (except through electronic devices)?
    To NFL newbies: Please perform your own analysis. Confirm any stats presented. Draw your own conclusions.

Handicapping is EXTREMELY hard! All statistical evidence (and game insights) may indicate strongly a specific outcome, winner, or continuing trend; but a turn-over, a missed field goal, an erroneous call, a key injury, etc. can easily change the outcome, the margins, and/or the totals. Division rivalry games and games with playoff implications are highly unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Well not much of a debate. They are both great QBs. Ex is a stat guy so he bases his position on the stats and not the skill set of the QBs.
    The fuck I am. YOU, T3, are the stat guy, basing all arguments on "box score" statistics and ignoring the "finer" statistics of the game that don't show up there. Furthermore, in terms of arguments' sake, you've been known to continuously ignore "fact" for "stat" repeatedly. Like your assertion that Baltimore was losing games because they abandoned the run, where I eviscerated your post, showing that the reason they lost the game was in large part due to an ineffective running game, and constantly facing passing downs rather than rushing downs, all the while keeping nearly identical first/second half rushing numbers.

I am NOWHERE near being a "stat guy" in our arguments, more of a historian, realist, or someone who actually pays attention long enough to figure out the depth of the situation, like the Baltimore losses you pissed and moaned about. Also, salt and pepper some experience and time into it (because I actually played the game) and I'm about as far away from a "stat" guy as possible.

Its hilarious when the very "stat guy" of the forum, tries to reverse a claim and argument on this forum, so that he can switch positions. It just doesn't work like that T3. I speak from experience and historical perspective, you speak from box score statistics, lets at least try to be honest with ourselves when we have arguments, alright? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    The fuck I am. YOU, T3, are the stat guy, basing all arguments on "box score" statistics and ignoring the "finer" statistics of the game that don't show up there. Furthermore, in terms of arguments' sake, you've been known to continuously ignore "fact" for "stat" repeatedly. Like your assertion that Baltimore was losing games because they abandoned the run, where I eviscerated your post, showing that the reason they lost the game was in large part due to an ineffective running game, and constantly facing passing downs rather than rushing downs, all the while keeping nearly identical first/second half rushing numbers.

I am NOWHERE near being a "stat guy" in our arguments, more of a historian, realist, or someone who actually pays attention long enough to figure out the depth of the situation, like the Baltimore losses you pissed and moaned about. Also, salt and pepper some experience and time into it (because I actually played the game) and I'm about as far away from a "stat" guy as possible.

Its hilarious when the very "stat guy" of the forum, tries to reverse a claim and argument on this forum, so that he can switch positions. It just doesn't work like that T3. I speak from experience and historical perspective, you speak from box score statistics, lets at least try to be honest with ourselves when we have arguments, alright? lol
    Brother, are you defensive! It seems like you two have mastered the art of pushing each other's buttons. Your audience may not be as unsophisticated as you obviously fear. Believe it or not, I think most readers here can sift yours and his posts and and separate the wheat from the chaff, from their own personal perspectives, of course. No one sees all facets on all issues, not even Billy Walters. Attacking each other may do more to muddy the waters than allow the facts to stand out and speak for themselves. You guys should host a sports show together. But no poisoned arrows, please.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gentlemen! Please return to your respective corners while we await the decision of the judges.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    The Dan Fouts to tight end Kellen Winslow combination was totally unstoppable. Similar to Brady to Gronk.
    Fouts was a heck of a QB. Whatever happened to him. Is he still a sports commentator?

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    One of the best quarterbacks I ever saw who you guys haven't mentioned is Dan Fouts. He's not talked about much because he never went to a Super Bowl. But that's because his team, the Chargers had a terrible defense. I don't hold it against him and I think he's worthy of being mentioned alongside the best.
    I can't even stomach that name with how biased he is commentating for the Chargers on CBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Brother, are you defensive! It seems like you two have mastered the art of pushing each other's buttons. Your audience may not be as unsophisticated as you obviously fear. Believe it or not, I think most readers here can sift yours and his posts and and separate the wheat from the chaff, from their own personal perspectives, of course. No one sees all facets on all issues, not even Billy Walters. Attacking each other may do more to muddy the waters than allow the facts to stand out and speak for themselves. You guys should host a sports show together. But no poisoned arrows, please.
    Here's how the sports show would go. I'd talk about shit that matters, he'd talk about the box scores, then argue with me basing his argument from the box scores, while I go to the teleprompter and draw him arrows and circles showing him why those box scores are the way they are, and why his "conclusion" about the box score was wrong, having had to show him the actual plays of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Isn't he tough. He acts like stat guy is an insult. I just say that because when we talk about QBs he doesn't talk about their abilities to do different things or give stats context from one era to another because of rule changes he just posts stats that are as much a team accomplishment as an individual one. He challenged people to show some rule changes that made his ever so all important stats that was the entire basis of is argument and wen they were listed everyone could see the relationship between the era and stats and the rule changes that changed the face f the game. I just talked about the QBs different abilities and ow effective they would be in the different eras and how one from an era o very physical football would obviously do better in todays era where defenses can do what they used to do. Just watch the Super Bowl Brady didn't do well after each time he got hit. Two interceptions followed being hit. Brady has a long history of being a crybaby to the refs. Montana got hit like Brady never did regularly.

Another time we had a discussion about my pick on the Denver/NE game and he was so stat obsessed about QBs he actually argued any time Manning played Brady no matter what team he was on or how long ago it was it would be a relevant stat. All that he had was stats. No expression of a feel for the game. He challenged me about games I watched and saw the Ravens fail to establish their run game and fall behind and get in trouble because Flacco is much more effective when the defense must be more prepared for the run. Since he didn't watch the games he challenged me. I put up the actual play by play that proved exactly what I had witnessed. He tried to either twist the stats by generalizing the entire game when I had the play by play from the beginning that showed exactly what I said. He still says he won that even though he made a fool of himself because everyone could see the play selection throughout the game showed I was right. He just sees stats not the way the game unfolded. I put up the play by play not stats so everyone could see exactly how and when Baltimore chose to pass or run. All he saw was the box scores.

To me that is a stat guy. I could continue to sow how he just sees stats rather the the story behind the stats but I don't want to go on too long. Everyone that read the thread already knows he is a stat guy. Hell, he just does fantasy football which is just stats. He didn't make one pick against the spread. That speaks volumes. On the other hand my QB arguments has been totally absent of stats but talk about the abilities of QBs. My worry about the Ravens was not based in stats but from watching them fail to establish the running game early in the couple games I sited and then feel they had to pass without ever establishing any real run threat. That is not typically the way the Ravens have gone into games historically. Wether the run was effective or not the ran the ball so their pass game was more effective. It isn't like they have any number one targets. the receivers that get separation can't catch very well and it is about the basics of catching with some or others that don't get separation but have good hands. That is what my statement was based on and when challenged I put up the play by play that showed exactly what I was talking about. Ex just could get past the game stats and see how the game developed as observed from watching the games or shown in the play by play analysis.

The people that know, live and breath football know hat I am talking about. The fantasy football guys who spend endless hours combing over stats tend to get to obsessed with stats. Why not it works great in fantasy football but in actual team play not so much.
    1. I'm not a "stat" guy. A "stat" guy is someone who looks at the box score statistics (you) and derives all arguments from arbitrary stat lines (you again) to make a foolish attempt at a point not validated in any way shape or form, from those statistics (you again). Like your argument that Baltimore abandoned the running game in their losses this year, and thus lost the game. In reality, as I've already pointed out half a dozen times, they didn't lose the game because they ran it 2 or 3 times less in the second half than in the first half for the same or better yards per carry. They ended up having to pass the ball more frequently because they were running into "passing downs" more frequently due to an ineffective running game and/or penalties.

2. You've brought up nothing relevant about the QB's we've talked about, in the way they play. You have, however, told us how Joe Montana had an "arm" and could hit receivers "in stride" a mile down the field, while ever single NFL analyst has and will disagree with you, and they already have decades prior to your comment, and a few of them might be rolling over in their grave having you said such a bogus comment, again.

3. You said Brady couldn't play in "joe's era" because he was a "dink and dunk" QB, but were completely ignorant of the fact that Joe was a "dink and dunk" QB in the ORIGINAL "Dink and dunk" offense, under the ORIGINAL "dink and dunk" coach, and then later played out his final years in...........you guessed it......A DINK AND DUNK OFFENSE.

Literally, this is my biggest issue with you here in the debate of QB's. Quite simply put, you're arguing with me while being either completely oblivious to the fact of how wrong you are about Brady and Montana, or you're trolling your heart out 24/7 to get a response. Do yourself a favor, understand the fact that Joe Montana was coached and played in the original dink and dunk offense by the original dink and dunk coach, in the original dink and dunk scheme, and then later Brady would play in essentially the same dink and dunk offense in the same dink and dunk scheme decades later. This doesn't separate them by "era" as they basically played under the same rule sets, in the same types of offenses, and put up, for the most part, the same "efficiency" lines as far as statistics go. Brady just won more in less time and produced more. That's it, that's the end of the argument there. Does that make Brady the best? Not necessarily, but having seen Brady and Montana play before my very eyes at one of the most Iconic and Stoic stadiums the NFL has ever seen, its safe to say that my opinion of the discussion can't be so easily tossed aside as "just a stat guy" commentary, from the stat KING himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Fouts was a heck of a QB. Whatever happened to him. Is he still a sports commentator?
    Yes, and I wish he would retire. His biased announcing anytime the Chargers play on TV is literally the most annoying thing in the world. All he ever talks about are Phillip Rivers, the Chargers, and the Chargers when he used to play for them. Coupled with peroidic highlight reels of Fouts tossing the rock to his legendary tight end for a touchdown.

He is literally the most annoying announcer on TV aside from Joe Buck, and I wish they would both lose their voices or retire because I have to fight the urge to turn off the television or change the channel when either of them are announcing a game.

Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 949575859