Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharky's NFL play of the week

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Sharky's NFL play of the week

a weak finish last year (1-2 in last 3 and 2-3 in my last 5) sent my record to 11-8...below my expectations, but still in the money

in the "WOW, what a difference a year makes game", the HOUSTON Texans (12-4 2012; 2-14 2013) and Washington REDSKINS (10-6; 3-13) kick it off Sunday with Ryan Fitzpatrick taking the helm for new coach Bill O'Brien at Houston and RGIII, "I never had a playbook at Baylor", attempting to learn Jay Gruden's scheme after his inability to grasp Mike "Shenanigans" the last 2 years for Washington...with those 2 "Os", ya gotta look to the 'Ds'...and look for newly signed JJ Watt and rookie Jadeveon Clowney to make it a long day for the skins'...take HOUSTON -2.5 for an easy win to start 2014

Good Luck!

Sharky
    Last edited by Norm; 01-23-2015 at 05:48 AM.

I just stick to Wong teasers and props but if I were gambling I would take Houston also if you get -2.5.

Jags +10 vs Philly - Philly tends to get overrated. Giving them +10 this early in the season is a little too much.
    Bengals -1 vs Balt - Bengals are still probably the best team in that division.
    Texans -3 vs Wash - RG3 hasn't shown much, Texans D might be back on track?
    KC - 3 vs Ten - KC sputtered a bit at the end, but its still Tennessee.
    NE -3.5 vs Mia - In previous years NE would be at -10 or more (which is giving NE too many points vs a division rival early in the year) but probably when too far to the other side this year.
    Colts +7.5 vs Broncos - Luck can keep it close in a shootout vs Broncos D. Should be at least sniffing within a TD.
    NYG +6.5 vs Lions - My Giants O sucks, but still, love picking against the oft overrated Lions.
    Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Congrats on the Colts win Gamblor. I didn't see the end of the game but you squeaked out a win.
    Thanks tthree, learned my lesson in previous years with Luck, he tends to keep it close, even though on paper I don't like the Colts. Squeaking out that win makes up for Jax giving up a 17 pt +10.5 lead.

And congrats on Houston sharky.
    Timidity is dangerous: Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity.

Is there any way to revise your original post's title so that we don't have to read "play of the weAk" all year?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Is there any way to revise your original post's title so that we don't have to read "play of the weAk" all year?

Don
    If I'm remembering correctly from years past, the title is not a mistake, but a play on words.

Quote Originally Posted by Canceler View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly from years past, the title is not a mistake, but a play on words.
    Oh, really? Is this an attempt at self-deprecating humor, implying that the play is made by a weak handicapper? Not sure I'd want to title a column of mine that way.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    After going 2-4-1 with lots of flagged games for play last weak using the team improvement grading system, I will make the picks using the same grading system. Not much there this week. I still haven't found final 53 man roster grades yet. Only 2 plays:
    Houston -2.5 over OAKLAND. (B+ vs D+)
    DENVER -13 over Chiefs (A vs F, I hate giving up this many points but this is Denver at home)
    I don't care how many points Denver has to spot the Chiefs on this one. They just lost All-Pro Linebacker Derrick Johnson who is the heart and soul of their defense, the only bright shining part of that team over the last decade, and they lost DE Mike DeVito, also for the season, and all of this happened on top of the weakest Secondary in the League. Now you put that hurt defense up against the most powerful offense in football, and Denver will be up 30 before the half.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Oh, really? Is this an attempt at self-deprecating humor, implying that the play is made by a weak handicapper? Not sure I'd want to title a column of mine that way.

Don
    I read it as, he is going after the weak lines.

For what it’s worth, the “weak” comes from a bookie I used to use a very, very long time ago who told a mutual friend my plays were “weak”….still not sure if he meant in quality or denomination..lol..but he does make of point of asking me every week for my play..lol...so I laugh and think of him every time I read it...that's all

this week features a rare “toss up” for my p-o-t-w, so I present 2 plays-o-the-weak:

The Dallas Cowboys come to LP Field with a, shall I say, “weak”.. …”D”…to face the first week road winning TENNESSEE Titans who pummeled the Chiefs @ Arrowhead…said weak “D” also lost their leading tackler (7), LB Justin Durant, in their week one loss to the 49ers in the process…take the TITANS -3.5 in a real snoozer

The HOUSTON Texans beat a bad Redskins team using a defense that was anything but weak and travel to the Rayyyyyyders “black hole” this week and their league leading (#32) rank “O” who amassed a “comical” total of 13 yards rushing and 72 yards passing @ the Jets last week before adding 73 yards (12 & 61) on their final TD scoring possession (4Q; 1:27) when the game was already out of hand…take the Texans -3 for the 2nd week in a row’s easy win

Good Luck!

Sharky

Last week: 1-0
    Season: 1-0

I enjoy reading your picks and I don't care how you spell wyk!!!

Banned or Suspended

Well, if we are going to use this thread for football picks (I guess because some haven't paid the fee to post in the sports section), I have a play this week. I am trying to play individual games sparingly this year but this game jumped out at my from the get go, I was just waiting for the line movement.

New York Giants +2.5 over Arizona. The line opened at Giants -2, and I have been waiting for the movement. I would like to get 3, so will hold off placing my til tomorrow while I shop around.

Reasoning: Arizona with high expectations, escaped their home opener with a 1 point win over SD. No shame there, I guess. They now travel 2500 miles and 3 time zone east to play the Giants, who looked terrible. Teams traveling 3 times zones east, lose a whopping 67% of the time, compared to the normal away team loss rate of 57% over recent years. Call it jet lag or whatever. In addition, this is a classic 'trap' game for Arizona, as they return home next week for a big inter division game with SF.

3-4 last weak, Giants didn't pull through (although I liked Seattle for the Thursday game).

Jets +7.5 vs GB - Jets have a solid D, and Geno is improving from being horrible.
    INDY -3 vs Phi - Like picking against Phi because betters tend to take a shine to them, didn't work last week, hopefully works out this week. I tend to bet against teams with good O's but bad/questionable D's (which can also describe Indy I guess).

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast