Thread: Are there test suites for blackjack EV calculators?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Are there test suites for blackjack EV calculators?

Hello! I am new to blackjack programming and have recently released an iOS app called "Blackjack X."

I come from the computer chess community. There, we have the idea of test suites, i.e., lists of positions that you run your engine on and compare the results with known-good values. There can be different goals for different test suites, e.g., some are to confirm accuracy of the basic algorithms, and some are to act as rough measurements of strength.

I was wondering if there are test suites for blackjack simulators that calculate EVs? If there are, can someone point me in their direction? I have searched with Google for a while but couldn't find anything.

If there aren't already test suites, would there be much interest if I made one, or would somebody else like to make one, or we could work together on it?

If you want EV for a particular TC and hand matchup CVdata is a good choice. If you want EV for a particular deck composition for a hand matchup any composition dependent analyzer should give you the info.

Thank you but this isn't quite what I'm looking for. I am interested in being able to run a list of situations to automatically confirm whether or not the EVs agree with a set of known-good EVs.

The list would ideally be hand-picked by somebody to stress an EV calculator, e.g., with unlikely hands or unlikely rule variations or unlikely TCs.

Blog Entries

Blackjack Attack has EVs. But, realize that EVs are different if you use a sim versus combinatorial analysis as CA does not include the cut-card effect. Also, CA's cannot accurately calc EVs for counting systems as machines are not yet that fast.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by tomker View Post
    Hello! I am new to blackjack programming and have recently released an iOS app called "Blackjack X."

I come from the computer chess community. There, we have the idea of test suites, i.e., lists of positions that you run your engine on and compare the results with known-good values. There can be different goals for different test suites, e.g., some are to confirm accuracy of the basic algorithms, and some are to act as rough measurements of strength.

I was wondering if there are test suites for blackjack simulators that calculate EVs? If there are, can someone point me in their direction? I have searched with Google for a while but couldn't find anything.

If there aren't already test suites, would there be much interest if I made one, or would somebody else like to make one, or we could work together on it?
    yo yo. i like the way you think. i'm just getting into this game and i was thinking about making an EV sim just for fun because that's how i roll, you know? anyway hit me up if you get something going - us big hitters gotta stick together. most likely a public test wouldn't be nearly as useful in blackjack as it is in chess which is probably why there isn't one. there's hundreds (thousand?) of engines and not very many blackjack calculators.

-BIG HITTER