See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calculations. Needed

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Calculations. Needed

Playing a 6deck, H17, no surrender with 1.5 deck cut off, min $25, game, to break even after 1000 hours of play, using HiLo, what spread is needed? If the goal is to average $25 per hour?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    What does the 1,000 hours have to do with your question? if you spread in such a manner that your e.v. is virtually zero, what does it matter if you play one hour or 1,000 hours?

Don

3 out of 6 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I really hope nobody answers your LAZY AND CHEAP ass.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I like these "homeworks" because I learn a lot with them, so I began trying to answer the question, although the OP lacks important information such as DAS?, RSA?, how many indices?

I was reaching a conclusion of 1:4 to break even and 1:9 for $25/hour, when I thought (quoting Don) "What does the 1,000 hours have to do with your question?"

Then I thought that, although we are in the Internet age where communication is ultra-fast and concise with a lot of text shorthands, I don't believe we reached a time when we should ask strangers for favors without a simple "please" or "thanks".

So, I eventually decided not to lose more time.

Then I saw Don's and Bjarg's answers and, although they summarize my feelings, I decided to say something anyway.

If people expect others to lose their time answering them, how come they don't take their own time to, at least, pose complete, thoughtful and polite questions?

I guess it's just not how I have been raised, so it baffles me....

Life's true face is the skull.” - Nikos Kazantzakis

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Playing a 6deck, H17, no surrender with 1.5 deck cut off, min $25, game, to break even after 1000 hours of play, using HiLo, what spread is needed? If the goal is to average $25 per hour?
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    What does the 1,000 hours have to do with your question? if you spread in such a manner that your e.v. is virtually zero, what does it matter if you play one hour or 1,000 hours?

Don
    1) It's a nice round number.
    2) Playing to a rebate or rollover minimum.
    3) Figures that he will play 1000 hours in a year.
    4) You are strictly playing for comps. You probably should have picked another game.

Only numbers 2 and 4 makes any sense for needing to specify 1,000 hours but it is not necessary even then.

Why does he only want to break even?

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull21 View Post
    So, I eventually decided not to lose more time.
    You did the right thing.
    Zeebabar's been around for some time now.
    He has openly stated many times that spending 100 or so dollars on simulation software is a waste of money since there are a lot of people on the internet willing to do the work for him for free.
    Apparently he thinks we are all idiots and since there's always somebody that helps him it looks like he doesnt even take the trouble to say please or thank you anymore.

He probably doesnt realize what CVCX purpose is. I didnt until I bought it. Even if he has people do it for free, he'll need to bet resize after every session.

Besides needing to know more about the rules and what the bankroll, unit size are, the important thing would be to understand the variance and RoR. A better question would be what the chances are of being even or ahead after 1000 Hours of play, and what's the RoR, given a spread. CVCX would generate that answer.

OP, while I'm aware you have some constraints about getting the software, you have been talking about a post retirement hobby that you are taking quite seriously. You have to be able to answer these questions for yourself, and gain the insights that go along with the exercises. If you can't find a way to get and use the right tools, I'd say you have some serious other issues you need to address first before putting too much more into planning.

Why does he only want to break even?[/QUOTE]

Interestingly enough, the 2 questions I ask myself when I walk into a new situation are (Rough sim in my head)
    1. What spread do I need to break even
    2. What spread do i really think I can get away with.

I'll probe somewhere between the 2 until I figure it out, or the store figures it out for me.

Somewhere in this thread, someone said 1-9 to beat 6d this game with NS. Need a lot more spread than that to meaningfully beat this. Would also be helpful to know if rsa and das are offered.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Why does he only want to break even?
    Interestingly enough, the 2 questions I ask myself when I walk into a new situation are (Rough sim in my head)
    1. What spread do I need to break even
    2. What spread do i really think I can get away with.

I'll probe somewhere between the 2 until I figure it out, or the store figures it out for me.

Somewhere in this thread, someone said 1-9 to beat 6d this game with NS. Need a lot more spread than that to meaningfully beat this. Would also be helpful to know if rsa and das are offered.[/QUOTE]

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I mention "Break even" because I want to know what my chances are of breaking even (and not having lost my BR) after 1000 hours. I am playing $10 and $25 min. games, and just hanging in. After 14-15 months of playing, perhaps 150-200 total houtrs, I am up but I did take loses the last couple of times. I am still finding my comfort level. I was spreading $25-$250 but affter a couple of times when I choked at doubling up on a 7/4 against a 10 because I was not quiite comfortable risking $500 on one hand/one card, I am asking myself these questions. Is it a losing game at lower spreads or is it just that my EV would not be too high. Before blasting me, please consider that I am 66, maybe a slow learner or maybe simply unsure yet about my ROR.

If you can't make the right plays pbecause of the size of bet you have out then you are over betting. Your EV isn't what you would think it is if you play your top hands weakly. If you play right while playing 2 spots you might get as many as 10 max bets or even more out on one round usually at a big advantage. You really rack up the EV. Of course the swing potential is large on that round. My guess is if you had Norm's software you wouldn't be betting at a level you can't play a strong game at. You would either be comfortable doing it or you would bet at a level that you can play like an AP rather than a ploppy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    ZeeBabar

I want to help you but do suggest that you do the calculation yourself. If you don't want to spent money on simulation software than I suggest you do research on free simulation software. There are free blackjack simulation software out there but it is just not as good as CVCX, CVDATA or Statistical Blackjack Analyzer.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 07-01-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast