See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illustrious 18 Plays Below and Above Index

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Illustrious 18 Plays Below and Above Index

Hi everyone, I'm trying to better understand the Illustrious 18. The sites that I found only have the scenario and index number, but I need a little bit more of an explanation to understand it. I added two columns to the table and filled it out as best I can. Feedback on the accuracy of this table would be greatly appreciated!

I18 Play High-Low
    Index Number
    Book Play /
    Below Index
    Index+
    Insurance 3 No Yes
    16 vs 10 0 Surrender, Hit Stand
    15 vs 10 4 Surrender, Hit Stand
    10,10 vs 5 5 Stand Split
    10,10 vs 6 4 Stand Split
    10 vs 10 4 Hit Double
    12 vs 3 2 Hit Stand
    12 vs 2 3 Hit Stand
    11 vs Ace 1 Double Hit
    9 vs 2 1 Hit Double
    10 vs Ace 4 Hit Double
    9 vs 7 3 Hit Double
    16 vs 9 5 Surrender, Hit Stand
    13 vs 2 -1 Stand Hit
    12 vs 4 0 Stand Hit
    12 vs 5 -2 Stand Hit
    12 vs 6 -1 Stand Hit
    13 vs 3 -2 Stand Hit

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Looks like you have the indices for the multi deck s17 game, but you should pick up a copy of Professional Blackjack, by Stanford Wong, to better understand the organization of the tables and what the indices mean relative to Basic Strategy. Your hit/stand strategies for the lower five rows in your table are wrong, e.g., for 12 vs. 4, you would stand when TC >=0, and hit if the TC<0. Also, your 11 vs. Ace strategies are reversed (should be to double if TC > =1)
    Last edited by Intermediate; 02-28-2014 at 04:35 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Intermediate View Post
    Your hit/stand strategies for the lower five rows in your table are wrong, e.g., for 12 vs. 4, you would stand when TC >=0, and hit if the TC<0. Also, your 11 vs. Ace strategies are reversed (should be to double if TC > =1)
    I agree with this comment. However, for the negative plays, I like to remember the basic strategy play as the general rule, and then apply the exception when the index gets below the trigger point. So for example, I tell myself that the general rule for 12 vs 6 is to stand, but hit if the count is -1 or lower. Same result, just a matter of how you train your brain.

Also, on 16v10, 15v10, and 16v9 if surrender is available, you would still surrender rather than stay at those index numbers.
    Those hands have negative index numbers at which it's better to hit than surrender.

Thanks guys for the great feedback. I updated my table per the comments. I will definitely check out that book too.

Those negative index numbers are tricky...I imagine I'll get weird looks if I hit with a 12 with the dealer showing a 5 or 6.

I18 Play High-Low
    Index Number
    Below Index Index+
    Insurance 3 No Yes
    16 vs 10 0 Surrender, Hit Surrender, Stand
    15 vs 10 4 Surrender, Hit Surrender, Stand
    10,10 vs 5 5 Stand Split
    10,10 vs 6 4 Stand Split
    10 vs 10 4 Hit Double
    12 vs 3 2 Hit Stand
    12 vs 2 3 Hit Stand
    11 vs Ace 1 Hit Double
    9 vs 2 1 Hit Double
    10 vs Ace 4 Hit Double
    9 vs 7 3 Hit Double
    16 vs 9 5 Surrender, Hit Surrender, Stand
    13 vs 2 -1 Hit Stand
    12 vs 4 0 Hit Stand
    12 vs 5 -2 Hit Stand
    12 vs 6 -1 Hit Stand
    13 vs 3 -2 Hit Stand

Quote Originally Posted by thepcfacer View Post
    Thanks guys for the great feedback. I updated my table per the comments. I will definitely check out that book too.

Those negative index numbers are tricky...I imagine I'll get weird looks if I hit with a 12 with the dealer showing a 5 or 6.
    Hitting the 12's and 13's will generate comments (if not ire) from the other players, so you have to be ready with some "hunch" comments, so be ready to take some abuse, especially if the dealer doesn't bust and would have had you stood. Alternately hitting and standing on 16 vs. 10 as the count moves back and forth across zero is one of the common things the pit and surveillance consider a card counter move. If you are betting tiny stakes, they might not care, and maybe you shouldn't worry about it for now, but be aware that this is a tell.

Hitting the 12's and 13's will generate comments (if not ire) from the other players, so you have to be ready with some "hunch" comments, so be ready to take some abuse, especially if the dealer doesn't bust and would have had you stood. Alternately hitting and standing on 16 vs. 10 as the count moves back and forth across zero is one of the common things the pit and surveillance consider a card counter move. If you are betting tiny stakes, they might not care, and maybe you shouldn't worry about it for now, but be aware that this is a tell.
    If anyone else at the table says anything about you hitting 13vs4, simply pull a rubber chicken out of your pocket, place it upon your left shoulder, and state in a matter of fact manner, "The rubber chicken guides me through all!". If this chases them off the table... Good!

Alternately hitting and standing on 16 vs. 10 as the count moves back and forth across zero is one of the common things the pit and surveillance consider a card counter move.
    I always balk at the advice to routinely stand with 16 vs. 10 for avoidance of scrutiny. What must it look like to do that, and virtually always hit with 16 vs. other high up-cards, particularly the 7? Sixteen against a 7, 8, 9 and Ace combined occur about as often as 16 against a 10.

Also, it's often said that only two kinds of players split 10s -- an idiot and a card counter.
    But how many kinds of players ever insure a stiff?? I can't name more than one.
    Last edited by Renzey; 10-05-2017 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renzey View Post
    Card counters, hole carders, ..., and idiots

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    I don't know Mr. Renzey. Can you enlighten me?
    I'm sorry. I should've said that "I can't name more than one". I edited my post to reflect that.
    It was intended to express the position that there are much more glaring tells than waffling back and forth on 16 vs. 10.

The idiots will always be represented in any list of those who make any seemingly bad play.

Please also add tracker. there are some of ploppies that goes back and forth on 16 vs 10

Quote Originally Posted by Renzey View Post
    I always balk at the advice to routinely stand with 16 vs. 10 for avoidance of scrutiny. What must it look like to do that, and virtually always hit with 16 vs. other high up-cards, particularly the 7? Sixteen against a 7, 8, 9 and Ace combined occur about as often as 16 against a 10.

Also, it's often said that only two kinds of players split 10s -- an idiot and a card counter.
    I was asked the question from a ploppy sitting at first base..."You stand with 16 against a 10, how come you hit a 16 against a 7'? I said "only a 5 beats a 20 and getting that one card is not worth the risk of busting, chances arent that good but with a 7, I could get a 2 or 3 or 4 or 5". The light went on in every ploppy's face at the table.

As far as insuring a bust hand, the act is probably key as we tend to insure when a larger bet is out. I might go 'Oh shit! Only way to save my $200 is to insure it" and then I say 'Please please have it (a BJ), please". It pisses ploppies sometimes because they may have a pat hand. Others laugh.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast