Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for Norm and Don S.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

A question for Norm and Don S.

I have to wonder why two people with the unquestioned knowledge of the game, and AP in general that you fellows have, don't actually play it? Obviously, both of you are well known and probably not allowed to play at some places but surely not everywhere.
    Hope neither of you mind my asking.

Blog Entries

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and it was confiscated.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

md

For all I know, they both play all the time. I may have even played NEXT to them recently!! Is there something stating they don't play any more?

The question I would ask the authors such as Don, Norm, Ian, Stanford, Arnold, etc. is:

"What made you decide to share all this amazing knowledge?"

To me, the price of these books is so trivial compared to their value, it's simply stunning. Also, as they reveal their hard-earned secrets to us lame-o's, they make it less valuable to themselves. The royalties from book sales, in my experience, for this kind of market are not huge.

Unless I'm missing something, these people are just really good guys looking to help out and share and I'm VERY appreciative! I buy their books new, at retail, in the hope they will get some token for their amazing efforts.

Consider the value of the Illustrious 18. Just that ONE IDEA is of incalculable value, even for Don, perhaps! His books are FULL of that kind of stuff. Same for all of the BIG authors.

I can't understand people like the person who recently posted s/he wanted to find "quality" combinatorial analyses of BS "for free" rather than just buying Peter Griffin's book. It's $5 on the used market. How could you possibly be interested in the combinatorial math underlying BS and be unwilling to spend $5 for THE book on the subject? (If you can understand that level of maths, you must have spent a small fortune on college already.)

I really must be missing something...

I know I can't speak for them but I would presume that they are not interested in dealing with NO. And could blame them?
    Vincit Qui Patitur

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver View Post
    I have to wonder why two people with the unquestioned knowledge of the game, and AP in general that you fellows have, don't actually play it? Obviously, both of you are well known and probably not allowed to play at some places but surely not everywhere.
    Hope neither of you mind my asking.
    Don S has stated somewhere quite recently that he does not play under the current playing conditions and is doing other things. I do not remember if it was on this forum or GC.

I should've done a better job with the OP in this thread and asked the question this way. Why would two of the most knowledgeable people in the AP field be passing up the lucrativeness at hand? Isn't the opportunity to great to pass up?

Don't really feel obliged to respond, as most of what has been written is reasonably accurate. But, I'll comment anyway.

I actually have quite a bit going on in my life right now. Have been trying to launch two rather important business ventures for some time: volx.us and realdayoptions.com

Busy coaching horizontal jumpers at local high school from November to June. Dealing with certain health issues, as well. Have stuff going on in France, with wife's father's estate. Second grandchild due in March, while first (now 2) continues to be an ongoing source of joy for my wife and me.

If straight counting opportunities were as attractive as they once were, in Las Vegas or near where I live, I might dabble more than I do. But, they aren't, and, as Norm wrote, I've more or less "been there, done that." Don't have the time or inclination to travel all that much these days, to pursue mediocre opportunities. And, finally, as has been stated, I am fortunate enough not to need the money.

Don

Guest chat with Don maybe?

Banned or Suspended

Are you setting up a hedge fund Don? I checked out volx.us or The Volatility Exchange website, in a nutshell what is this site to be used for? How can an investor use that site? The pundits on CNBC talk about the VIX as being an indicator that measures volatility but I do not trust CNBC with the exception of their guest Peter Schiff who they have on every now and then. I think John Williams site Shadowstats is a pretty good site, I tend to believe his figures vs. what the various govt departments report Unemployment, CPI, etc.

None of my business DSchles.... but the first "expiration" in realdayoptions.com is missing the "t" ..."expiraion".

I guess I am just a "mistypes" freak

Best of luck!

Banned or Suspended

Many of the regular posters here are relatively youthful.

I am sure that Don and Norm are my peers.

Speaking only for myself alone (of course) ~

I am too old to be "chasing the almighty dollar"

I have sizable assets (IMO) and no debts.

I have health problems common to our elders.

"I have nothing to prove." so I have a coterie

of A.P.'s that I "rub elbows" with and a contingent

of A.P. wannabes that I mentor. I never enjoyed

college teaching and gave that up decades ago.

I strongly prefer one-on-one guidance / tutoring.

VERY unlike me to have missed this. Thank you; it's been corrected.

Don

"Are you setting up a hedge fund, Don?"

No. Trying to bring new products to the marketplace.

"I checked out volx.us or The Volatility Exchange website, in a nutshell what is this site to be used for?"

Just informational right now. And we stopped updating the vol information for the time being.

"How can an investor use that site?"

You can learn an awful lot about volatility, if you read everyhting on it!

"The pundits on CNBC talk about the VIX as being an indicator that measures volatility but I do not trust CNBC with the exception of their guest Peter Schiff who they have on every now and then. I think John Williams site Shadowstats is a pretty good site, I tend to believe his figures vs. what the various govt departments report Unemployment, CPI, etc."

Yeah, these guys know virtually nothing. VIX measures the relative cheapness or expensiveness of SPX options. It's a sentiment indicator more so than a measure of actual, or realized, volatility.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast