See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    The Simon and Garfunkel song: A Simple Desultory Philippic (Or How I Was Robert McNamara'd Into Submission), contains the lines:

"He's so unhip that when you say Dylan
    He thinks you're talking about Dylan Thomas
    Whoever he was
    The man ain't got no culture"

Bob Dylan lived two blocks from here for a time. His neighbor to the left was Katharine Hepburn. The building to the right is now the Consulate General of Ukraine. These days, lot's of flowers and such outside that people drop off and a constant line of folk looking for visas.
    Last edited by Norm; 05-28-2022 at 09:11 AM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Ahh, I recognized that one when I read "chamber door". Coincidentally, in 1846 Poe also lived on what became the same street as Dylan's; although the area was rural at the time. There were farms in Manhattan. But, the city planners had already sketched out the street grid and at that time were breaking up the farms and building the streets that exist today. He used to row a skiff in Turtle Bay, which was later filled in and is now the location of the U.N.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Shakespeare was quite prolific, when you include his sonnets. My mother memorized all his works. No idea why. Turned out to be convenient once. In high school, our English lit teacher told us the day before midterms exactly what the exam would be. Describe King Lear, Hamlet, and Macbeth. Of course, I had read none of them as I never did homework. So, I asked mom to describe the three plays. She rattled off the plots and the meanings behind the plots -- what the plays were designed to put forth. I just wrote what she said the next day in class. Fortunately for me, the teacher, who didn't like me, wasn't the grader. They had someone from U. of P. grade the papers. She gave me an A+ noting the conciseness of my explanations. Didn't have the heart to tell her that, of course I was concise. I hadn't read them.
    Last edited by Norm; 05-29-2022 at 05:04 AM.

Not sure who said it. Its about advice.

"A wise man doesn't need it and a fool doesn't heed it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I have always liked "quotes", whether about gaming, love, motivation or daily life. I think we learn a lot by reading just a few lines, so I would like to create a thread about quotes. A lot of brilliant minds over here, so let's bring out your favorites quotes, feel free.

Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.

Sun Tzu.

Blog Entries

Never saw the point of Hemingway. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEsFbeqiD8w&t=118s

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post

America is a country where there are a great many people who believe:

that the Moon landings were faked

and that Professional Wrestling is real

Beliefs are not based on thought processes. This makes it impossible to change a believer's mind with logic. Therefore, it is appropriate to answer a believer's statement with, "you're out of your f-ing mind."

"the problem with finding quotes on the internet is that you can never really be sure that the person being quoted actually said it."

Joseph Stalin
    Funny!

So took my youngest to a major opening day football game.....we crushed them late...prompting me to quip, "2 chances.....slim and none and slim just left town"....my son, who is 13 loved this saying.....we kept repeating it as we went home.....laughing the whole way home....

Next day I internet sleuth it...and come to find it was an Ali saying....lol....imagine that..to Frazier no less.....and he lost the fight!

________

overheard at a roulette table

"I hope I break even. I really need the money."

That is so sad :/

Impossible means that you haven't found a solution yet.---Henry Ford

Blog Entries

“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.” - Garrison Keillor

"I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time -- when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness..."

Carl Sagan, 1995

I realize this was already well underway when he made the prediction, but still pretty prescient on his part.

Blog Entries

"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next."

Ursula K. Le Guin

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast