See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/why-bob-dylan-is-a-literary-genius-105108/

Blog Entries

I listen to Dylan nearly every week. But, I don't like his new album.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I listen to Dylan nearly every week. But, I don't like his new album.
    Jokerman is one of My all time favorites
    :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSvsFgvWr0

Really liked Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid as well.. Modern times was a good album too...Spirit on the Water, Thunder on the Mountain and Working Man Blues were very good songs..
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    from the poem If by Rudyard Kipling
    These are profound thoughts in an excellent quote for these tumultuous and dangerous times.
    Many parts of the quote even appear to have been written for today's situations. I guess there really is "nothing new under the sun."
    Last edited by 21frogman; 07-04-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    You will die like a dog for no good reason.”
    Although the following entire page is worth reading, the section, "Why social cohesion matters in combat" speaks most directly to the reasons many modern US soldiers are willing to die in combat.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/wh...-fight-3331792
    Last edited by 21frogman; 07-23-2020 at 02:04 PM.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Some people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted." - Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune.

Blog Entries

First time I've seen Frank Herbert quoted. I've read pretty much everything he ever wrote.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

"People speak sometimes about the "bestial" cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust and offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as a man, so artfully, artistically cruel."

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

“It is a pity that there are no big creatures to prey on humanity. If there were enough dragons and rocs, perhaps mankind would turn its might against them. Unfortunately man is preyed upon by microbes, which are too small to be appreciated.”
    ? T.H. White, The Book of Merlyn: The Unpublished Conclusion to The Once & Future King

Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
    You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline - Leonard Cohen

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    For those who say failure is not an option:

I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”

– THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

This is so true!!!

quotes

Marriage is like a long meal with the dessert at the beginning....Guy de Maupassant

Page 45 of 52 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast