Thread: What is the optimal number of spotters to the BP on a team?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

What is the optimal number of spotters to the BP on a team?

It seems that it's around 5:1. What say you?
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

The answer should be dependent on how much the spotters are being paid and what the bigplayers max bet is.

5:1 is perfect if you are a spotter and getting each is getting 20% of the win :-) Seriously, five spotters to 1 BP is probably too many as you're gonna have too many simultaneous hot shoes go to waste. 5 spotters for 2 BP's or 3 spotters for 1 BP seems like a better balance...but I'm open to argument about it.

Can a sim be run on this? Or is this type of thing not supported by CVData?
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Blackjack Attack 3 Chapter 1 should steer you in the right direction.
    "One of these days in your travels, you are going to come across a guy with a nice brand new deck of cards, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the Jack of Spades jump out of the deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not take this bet, for if you do, as sure as you are standing there, you are going to end up with an ear full of cider."

We have 3 to 1 but we also have it if the call in is playing the alternate can take the call and play the shoe.

Off the top of my head I believe I remember reading it's between 2 or 3, per BP, and the diminishing returns / overkill begin to kick in after that. (Unfortunately I don't remember where I remember reading that.)

If you don't mind "wasting resources" and you want to capture absolutely EVERY penny in a given timeframe, going to 4-5 would probably do the trick...

-DBJT

Thank you everyone.
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

Real world experiences.

Back when Caesars was really Caesars I put together a mini-team with a $100K bank. I was the BP and I used three spotters. At the time Caesars had 45 6D shoe games badly cut but good rules. The best thing was at the start it was a heat-free environment. We traveled to Caesars some 18 times every 3 weeks flying in from Denver. I would be called in a hot shoe whenever the HiLo TC reached +2/more. Bet sizes were 2 x $500 no matter how high the count went. If I stood behind a shoe and was able to see 100 rounds per hour, I would play about 12 rounds with an EV of about 1.8% per round on average with their terrible cut.

Now I know what Don's BJA says but I found a tremendous amount of overlap using 3 spotters. This was a bit frustrating when I got signals from all 3 spotters and it happened a lot. I think 2 spotters would have been sufficient here. We made believers out of Caesars and they gave me and my guys the boot. However we did part them of 6-figures and an unbelievable comp hustle.