Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with Going on Tilt.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Dealing with Going on Tilt.

After calming down after my major lost... I have come to realize that my emotion is my biggest enemy here, I feel currently that in order to survive and succeed any future en devours
    as a Aper I will need to find coping mechanism, to deal with the swings of the game... "I feel very very fortunate to live in a place where the games and rules are nice and plentiful"

I know it is a no brainier that I should not let my emotions control my BR.. But with anything in life it is more difficult to take action than to preach..

So I would like to ask my fellow Aper what are so strategy everyone use to deal with the emotional part of the game?

Until you learn to master your rage...your rage will become your master.
    - Mr. Furious & The Sphinx

As for becoming less attached to your money...try short playing sessions, scheduled breaks, stop losses. Time will take care of the rest.

Banned or Suspended

Sick,

Try this, example, if you buy in for $500 never lose more than half that before you walk away. Make up your mind that you will do this, until such time as you can control your emotions, or you may very well destroy yourself. Also if you have won an amount that is satisfying to you and you feel things are beginning to turn in a bad way, walk away. Did you read the post by Doc on BJ21 free?

Ouchez

Banned or Suspended

One way to deal with the crippling effect of emotion in dealing with your emotions is to FULLY realize that when you place a bet in BJ there are no (realistic) circumstances where you
    are favored to win the upcoming hand. Your profits in BJ accrues from betting extra money when blackjacks, 19's, 20's and good doubles and splits are at an increased likelihood.

Amateurs have a self-destructive notion that just because they have made a MAX bet they are more likely to win then to lose their upcoming bet. That is FALSE. Think about this !

If you are unable to win and lose substantial amounts of money without "feeling" it, your life will be much less chaotic without putting your money at risk.

There is no substitute for experience....you must endure seemingly countless sufferings to get the tilt out of your system....though it never really leaves....I still overbet, still go on tilt, still am stunned when I I lose endless max bets in counts that are so high I stopped counting the shoe because I knew the TC would never get under my max bet. Over time, you get used to the fluctuations and become much more apt to dealing with the swings of this game...but the demons never leave, you just control them better....you must play enough and suffer enough to achieve some emotional distance with your money..almost to the point of becoming bored at the table....only then will you be able to handle the inevitable swings...you will get there....patience

Banned or Suspended

Lowrider makes real some good points. Experience is the ultimate tool. Once you go through something extreme, the next time through it become a little less extreme and each additional time, it becomes more routine. But the real key is playing to a small fraction of kelly. (Where is Avenger when we need him....) By playing to a fraction of kelly, you won't be able to lose an amount that is truely devastating to your bankroll in one sitting. Unfortunately, the cumulative effect of days, weeks and months of losing will still test you. I went through a period like that this year. But I suppose even with that, experience will help. I really try to look upon every new experience, positive and negative as a tool that will better prepare me for the future. Oddly enough in my experience, it has been a few really huge winning sessions that have caused me to feel like I wasn't in control as much as I wanted to be. Heart racing a mile a minute. A false feeling of invincibility. I had to quit for the day after two such sessions earlier this year. But I hope to experience many more of these outrageously successful sessions and hopefully experience will make them feel a little more routine as well.

Such excellent advice you have been given by all. It shows the compassion and help they offer. I can only add that having fun while you go through this experience is a must. Combining interesting things to do between short sessions will help. You have been specifically advised by almost all that you need to bet within the rate of ruin you can emotionally handle.
    Best to you.

Babe

Maximum bets are still insignificant

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

Amateurs have a self-destructive notion that just because they have made a MAX bet they are more likely to win then to lose their upcoming bet. That is FALSE. Think about this !
    I had - or maybe I still have - a stumbling block with regard to max bets: after spending several minutes - or hours, as sometimes happens - waiting for a max-bet count, I have that stack out there, and in the back of my mind, I'm thinking "Oh, that's quite a bit of money!"

But, in the blackjack sense, a max bet isn't much money. It should be between 1/150 and 1/300 of your bankroll - yawn!

That max bet does not deserve to be paid any more than your min bet. It's just a little more money, but still a tiny bit of money.

And some dealers suck in their breath when they see you throwing out 10-15x what you were earlier in the shoe, which makes the attitude that "it's a tiny bit of money" more difficult to sustain.

One solution, which I should be implementing for other reasons, is to play places where your max bet doesn't amount to squat.

Spreading creates this illusion that we're laying down fat stacks o' cash on maximum bets, when we're really just spreading from jack-diddly-squat on negative counts all the way up to jack squat on max counts. One tiny maximum bet doesn't earn much to speak of. It's only the power of several thousand maximum bets which amounts to real money.
    Last edited by Anton Chigurh; 12-25-2011 at 03:15 PM.

You have to trust the math. Once you trust the math, you can let go of the emotions. It becomes mechanical.

A Couple Pointers

I have to reiterate what ZenMaster_Flash said-- You may have an advantage at plus counts, but you are not favored to win any hand. You may think that the more losing hands you have at a plus count, the more likely you are to win one. On the contrary, you are still more likely to lose in each and every instance. Your only advantage derives from BJs (which are more plentiful in plus counts) and splits and double downs, which you are more likely to win. This fact alone should help you to put a damper on unrealistic expectations in plus counts. Expect to lose in the instant hand, but by the same token, expect to win more money than you lose over the long run. It's hard to drill that notion into one's skull, but that you must.

A second thing I do is to try to avoid long sessions. If after 1 hour to 4 hours you are well ahead, don't get greedy; call it a day and enjoy your trip by doing something recreational-- visit the spa, take in a show, have a nice meal, go swimming, go shopping, watch a ball game, etc., etc. So many times I have ignored this strategy and decided to stay and double my money instead. The hours are important, because as you tire, you are likely to experience waning focus and consequent mistakes. Emotions that are easy to hold in check when you are well rested, are more difficult to control as you tire. Eventually, poor judgment creeps in and with it, oftentimes, steaming behavior.

I hope these pointers help you. As in everything, YMMV.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
    You have to trust the math. Once you trust the math, you can let go of the emotions. It becomes mechanical.
    Perhaps the best advice I have EVER seen on a BJ site. Trusting the math is basically the only thing that got me through my horrendous 3x std deviation horror story at the beginning of my AP career.

As well as trusting the math, understand the implications of the math.

Look at your confidence intervals. For instance, do you know within what ranges you can expect to be after a two hour session 95% of the time (e.g. between +$1000 or -$900)? Knowing this, might make the ensuing downswings easier to accept and deal with.
    Whether you believe you can or not, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy View Post
    As well as trusting the math, understand the implications of the math.

Look at your confidence intervals. For instance, do you know within what ranges you can expect to be after a two hour session 95% of the time (e.g. between +$1000 or -$900)? Knowing this, might make the ensuing downswings easier to accept and deal with.
    Percy gives good advice but let me add. If you dont have CVCX or CVdata, you need it. These programs will show you exactly what your session swings will look like. I was in utter shock when I first saw the numbers of what my session swings were gonna look like. I remember playing before I knew this information and thought BJ was BS. Along with understanding the swings, put in alot of practice mirroring the parameters you put in CVCX or CVdata. You will watch the information come to life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast