Thread: pm: DI question

pm

pm: DI question

I ran a sim the other day; I got a winrate of about $42/hr, and with a 10K bank, the RoR was 13.5%. I took that to mean that the game & playing & betting strategies were all fairly decent.

CVData told me, however, that the DI for this sim was 4.31, with a resulting c-SCORE of $18.57. Was I wrong in assuming that $42/hr with a $10K bank and a 13.5% RoR implies a decent game & system? Why is the DI so low?

pm

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: DI question

> I ran a sim the other day; I got a winrate of about
    > $42/hr, and with a 10K bank, the RoR was 13.5%. I took
    > that to mean that the game & playing & betting
    > strategies were all fairly decent.

> CVData told me, however, that the DI for this sim was
    > 4.31, with a resulting c-SCORE of $18.57. Was I wrong
    > in assuming that $42/hr with a $10K bank and a 13.5%
    > RoR implies a decent game & system? Why is the DI
    > so low?

Something is wrong somewhere. If you used $10,000 of bank and your bet scheme produced a ROR of 13.5%, your approach should have been, more or less, optimal. The $42/hr win rate and the $18.57 are obviously incompatible. One of them is wrong.

Are you certain that the CVData sim gave an answer in dollars, and not in units??

Don

pm

pm: Re: DI question

> Something is wrong somewhere. If you used $10,000 of
    > bank and your bet scheme produced a ROR of 13.5%, your
    > approach should have been, more or less, optimal. The
    > $42/hr win rate and the $18.57 are obviously
    > incompatible. One of them is wrong.

> Are you certain that the CVData sim gave an answer in
    > dollars, and not in units??

> Don

The c-SCORE was actually listed as 18.57; I just assumed it was dollars. It couldn't be units; the unit was $65 (small spread obviously).

I can't see anything obvious that I might have done wrong. I ran the sim and got a winrate of $42.48/hr, I brought up the RoR calculator and loaded the info from the sim, I entered 154 units as the bank, and I got an RoR of about 13.5%. But in the "Performance" section, it lists DI as 4.31 & SCORE as 18.57. ??

Hey Norm, am I still misinterpreting CVData's results?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Give me all the particulars

Can you give me the game, rules, spread, unit size, units won/hr, dollars won/hr, and SD/hr, please?

Don

pm

pm: Re: Give me all the particulars

Actually, this example might be more useful. I tried to reproduce some BJRM results (optimal calcs) and I had the same problem with the DI:

SETUP

4.5/6 S17 DAS LS
    I18 Fab4
    100 hands/hr
    5 players

Wong in +1, wong out 0, enter shoe multiple times
    1-12 (ramp: 1/2/3/5/6/7/9/10/12)
    $41 unit
    $10,000 bank
    Round TCs & decks, 1/2 deck resolution

RESULTS

BJRM: Win/100: $60.24 (1.47 units)
    SD/100: $776 (18.93 units)
    ROR: 13.49%
    DI: 7.77

CVData: Win/hr: $60.33 (1.47 units)
    SD/100: $852 (20.78 units)
    ROR: 18.78%
    DI: 4.01
    /

The SD & RoR were a little higher and the DI was much lower. I ran a similar sim except it was play-all, and the DI's matched up pretty closely in that one. Seems like I tend to get strange DI values with wonging sims. Any idea?

pm

pm

pm: Don? Norm? Anyone?

By the way, my previous post has a strange link at the bottom; I think I had some malware on my machine that snuck that in there somehow.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: You did something wrong

I went to both softwares (BJRM and CVCX) and was able to get results that were very similar (including the DIs) with both.

So, I'm afraid I can't help, because I can't reproduce your error.

Don

pm

pm: Clarification...also Norm, if you could take a look..

I was actually comparing CVData results to BJRM results. Also, I think I might see what's going on; it looks like a possible bug in CVData. If you could take a quick glance..

In CVData, when "skipped hands" are included, these are the results:
    Win/100 = 1.4714
    SD/100 = 20.7767

When "skipped hands" are NOT included, these are the results:
    Win/100 = 4.5955
    SD/100 = 36.718

If you calculate (1.4714/36.718 * 100), you get an incorrect DI of 4.01, which is the exact value that I'm seeing in the summary screen. It looks like CVData is using the win/100 that includes "skipped hands" and the SD/100 that does NOT include skipped hands to calculate the DI. This would also explain why the DI is calculated correctly in a play-all sim, since there is only one set of values in those sims.

1.4714/20.7767 * 100 = 7.08; I'm assuming that would be the correct DI.

??

pm

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Yes

Everything that you've written is correct. I hope Norm will see this. You have to be careful with the DI for back-counting.

Don