Thread: gomez18: Statistics and Probability Books

gomez18

gomez18: Statistics and Probability Books

I'm fairly new to the blackjack world and I like to learn everything I possibly can before diving in. Along those lines, I'm looking for a good book to brush up on my statistics and probability. I'm pretty good with math so I don't need something with a really shallow learning curve. Are there any that you guys would recommend?

Thanks,
    Carl

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Statistics and Probability Books

> I'm fairly new to the blackjack world and I
    > like to learn everything I possibly can
    > before diving in. Along those lines, I'm
    > looking for a good book to brush up on my
    > statistics and probability. I'm pretty good
    > with math so I don't need something with a
    > really shallow learning curve. Are there any
    > that you guys would recommend?

I believe that one of the best (two volumes) is by William Feller. Look for it in the library: "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications."

Don

Franz Joseph

Franz Joseph: Re: Statistics and Probability Books

1. Lady Luck by Warren Weaver is an easy to understand non-text book.

2. Probability An Introduction by Samuel Goldberg

3. Introduction to Probability by John E. Freund

4. Probability Theory: A Concise Course by Y.A. Rozanov

5. An Elementary Introduction to the Theory of Probability by B.V. Gnedenko and A.Ya. Khinchin

Books 2 through 5 are text books, which are available from GBC in Las Vegas (800) 634-6243. They cost between $5 and $15 each. Only book 4 requires calculus.

Feller is the GURU of probability. Volume 2 is at an extremely advanced level. Gnedenko and Khinchin are probably as respected as Feller.