Thread: Artguy: When is % of Pen helpful

Artguy

Artguy: When is % of Pen helpful

Recently, I was playing SD with two others and was enthused to note that the pen was 70% and better by the time the last card was dealt. It took me a while to realize that the P70 did not help make my betting decision at the beginning of the last hand since the hand began at about P50. So, am I correct in understanding that the value of the p70 was in making playing decisions during the hand played and not pertinent to the original betting decision?

Should I recalibrate when the pen is good by judging what it is at the beginning of the last hand rather than at the end of same? Does it matter?

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo: Re: When is % of Pen helpful

> Should I recalibrate when the pen is good by
    > judging what it is at the beginning of the
    > last hand rather than at the end of same?
    > Does it matter?

Yes, yes. If you're at 3rd base 70% pen is great for you to alter playing decisions. 70% pen is not as great for playing decisions if you're at first base. As far as betting goes, it's important to note the pen at the beginning of the last hand. Other than playing strategy, what good does 70% pen do you if it is reached after the last hand and it's time to shuffle?

Pen in single deck games is usually described as "Rule of 6" or "Rule of 7", "Rule of some number". Rule of 6 means the number of rounds and the number of hands being played equal six. For example: RO6 game with two players, each betting one spot. The dealer will deal four rounds and then shuffle. 4 rounds to 2 spots = RO6 game.

As you noticed, the number of spots being played will effect penetration in a SD game. This is one reason why many recommend playing with fewer players at the table.

Hope this helps
    Johnny Bravo