Thread: Rhetorich: CVData Question for Norm

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: CVData Question for Norm

I'm staring at the Playing Strategies screen, dumbfounded. Primary Strategy is no problem, but "Side Count Strategy" *is*. There's only one Sample, so I Attached it, figuring I could display its tables as an example. Unfortunately, the "Sample Mult-Parameter Tables" don't tell me much and this Note tells me less: "The Index Limits, Affecting Options and Index Ranges for a multi-index or SC Table Strategy are set by the first of the multiple strategies." Lemme ask what I hope is a simple question. Let's say I want fry my brain cells by using K-O but keeping a separate count of 9s, and/or 8s, 7s, 6s, 5s, & 4s, or all of the above. [Pick any you like] => WHAT would a SC strategy I'd attach to the Primary Strategy look like? How would it work (in the sim)? If, for instance, I want to include the negative effect of (presently uncounted) 9s. How could I do so? TIA.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Different types of side counts (long)

I decided to use the opportunity to write a general discussion of side counts which I will include in the CV documentation. The SC you are talking about is the last of five discussed. Click below:

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Coding and using side counts

Thank you, Norm, for writing "blackjack-side-counts.htm"; it reduced my confusion considerably. My remaining confuzziness is twofold: (1) how to *code* the side count data in CVData, and (2) how the program will *apply* the side count adjustments.

First, because "a picture is worth, etc.", could you code in CVData examples of each of the 5 types of side counts, then post screen images to accompany the excellent document you wrote?

Second, you have described "procedures" to combine the effect of the side count with playing strategies. I'm unclear on whether (a) CVData will use those procedures to make side count adjustments *automatically*, (b) we must *code* the procedure somehow [perhaps into the "Special Actions" box?], or (c) we humans must do those procedures manually (perhaps while sitting at a table) *without* any quantifiable sim data.

In your last example, where you use add a side count of 8s to adjust a 9 vs. 2 play, how should we get CVData to make that adjustment when we run a simulation? To put a finer point on it, could we run 2 sims (or define 2 players), one *with* and the other *without* using side counts, to see the improvement in playing efficiency and its value in dollars?

Thanks again for your help.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Piece of cake

Click below for a description. CVData will handle the counts just as would a human. You could run two sims, one each way; or one sim with two players playing differently. But, it is much faster to run two separate sims as the Multi-tracking simulator is not as fast. Also, running them separaetly would be more accurate as players do affect each other enough to make a difference between to very similar strategies.

Rhetorich

Rhetorich: Re: Piece of cake

Great job, Norm! If/when I find other aspects of your programs I don't understand, I hope you'll create similarly clear explanations -- in fact, you might add them to the printed User Guides, program Help files, and/or on-line reference material @ the gfit.com site.