Thread: Jud: Camouflage

Jud

Jud: Camouflage

Don,
    Of all your work and studies that has informed card counters for years my favorite is "camouflage for the basic strategist and the card counter". I'm positive your absolute and conditional penalty charts have given me and others longevity as a card counter.
    I purchased all three editions of "Blackjack Attack" and especially cherish the 3rd edition hard covered and autographed.
    You stated in your report that the appendixes to Wong's revised edition of Professional Blackjack now provides the most accurate information in print on this topic. After numerous attemps to upgrade the charts with Wong's appendixes, I failed to duplicate the charts like the ones in your work.
    My question to you is can you give examples of how to calculate from Wong's charts so it provides the exact statistics in your chart form (absolute and conditional penalties)?

Thanks
    Jud

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Camouflage

> Don,
    > Of all your work and studies that has informed card
    > counters for years my favorite is "camouflage for
    > the basic strategist and the card counter".

That's refreshing. Thank you. There aren't many players who choose that as their favorite, although I, myself, kind of like it, too. :-)

> I'm positive your absolute and conditional penalty charts
    > have given me and others longevity as a card counter.

Glad to hear that.

> I purchased all three editions of "Blackjack
    > Attack" and especially cherish the 3rd edition
    > hard covered and autographed.
    > You stated in your report that the appendixes to
    > Wong's revised edition of Professional Blackjack now
    > provide the most accurate information in print on
    > this topic.

Of course, that was written before the Appendix A of BJA3 was created. :-)

> After numerous attempts to upgrade the
    > charts with Wong's appendixes, I failed to duplicate
    > the charts like the ones in your work.

Not surprising. There are a few reasons why.

> My question to you is can you give examples of how to
    > calculate from Wong's charts so it provides the exact
    > statistics in your chart form (absolute and
    > conditional penalties)?

You really don't have to bother. Just use Appendix A of BJA3. For any given holding, look at the expectations for all the possible decisions, and compare the second-best to the first-best. Expressed as a percent, that should be approximately the value you find in the Chapter 7 tables.

But, one problem is that, for any total, such as, say, 12, there are several ways to obtain it, and each is listed separately in the Appendix, whereas there is only one global value given in the Chapter 7 tables. So, to be "perfect," you'd have to weight each holding according to its frequency (also given in the Appendix), and then sum.

Write back if you have more questions.

Don