Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VXN: Announcing The Ultimate Challenge... with a prize Beyond belief!

Fuzzy Math

Fuzzy Math: Re: Too funny...

> Here's a better alternative for you people:
    > go to your nearest library (I used my
    > university library) and use their
    > interlibrary loan service. There's about
    > 6-10 copies floating around (especially in
    > NV). Borrow it, copy it, and return it. It
    > costs about $12 to copy and bound it and it
    > takes about 2 hours to request and check it
    > out. It works and it's legal provided you
    > don't sell it for profit. By the way, I
    > don't think Beyond Counting has an ISBN
    > number so it's probably not registered at
    > the Library of Congress.

> Viktor, I'm not 100% sure on the legalities
    > of copying, so please correct me if I'm
    > wrong on that last point.

Local library system returns such books as "Counting Beyond Ten and Learning Your ABCs" if I try a search for Beyond Counting. =( Which is better than running a search on "Blackjack", which will return even less.....

AdvantageRay

AdvantageRay: Re: Too funny...

Thanks for the idea Random! Im going to hit the library today, and next time Im in Vegas Ill have to take a few hours off if I can't find it here...

D

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: I dont get it...

> If I don't win, I'm sure I can at least beat
    > the $45 opening bid.

But are you prepared for the second, and third bid ..

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: Too funny...

> Borrow it, copy it, and return it.

> wrong ..

I'm not Viktor, but if I got anywhere near the opportunity to make a copy of that book, I'd do it.

I wouldn't sell it; I'd keep it and read it. And if the guy ever re-prints (which I have heard might be happening), I'll be the first in line to buy one. But until then ..

Anyone who can't print enough copies of a book where there exists a demand should have no beef with that.

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Re: Too funny...

> wrong on that last point.

I have no experience in copyright law as it pertains to personal use and libraries, so I can't really comment. I also don't have the time, and it would bore you anyways, to opine about my conflicting opinions on the move towards criminalization of copyright infringement.

What I can say is that if you do get a library copy I will be very surprised if it has the pages you want. I get periodic reports of what condition they're in, and so far all the ones floating around here are missing the 3CP chapters and then some.

I will also say that if you do get a library copy please don't steal it and pay the fine or just rip pages out. Stealing books from a public library is very, very low.

Lastly, you can easily surmise that if we're giving away a copy from my collection in a contest that it's not the last copy I have...

Good Cards,

V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12