Thread: 1st base: hi-lo lite

1st base

1st base: hi-lo lite

For expediency I fell into using hi-lo lite, by Arnold Snyder I think. Has served me pretty well and was easy but figure I should start memorizing the Illustrious 18. Any comments?

I have been counting using hi-lo for about a year. I play a low minimum game spreading $3 (if I can find it) to occasionally $30 or more. Playing mostly 6-deck H17 as those are the only low minimum games I can find where I travel. I have a limited, but growing bankroll. Anyone have a calculation of what value I should expect from changing indices?

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: hi-lo lite

Generally HiLo Illustrious 18 is less than 10% better than HiLo-Lite. In this case it is closer to 20-25% (assuming 75% penetration.) Six deck H17 is really awful. The biggest problem with HiLo-Lite is not the indexes. It is the fact that you divide by half-decks instead of full decks. This compresses the true counts into a very narrow range in a single level count. At 75% penetration, 63% of your true counts will be 0. This makes optimal betting difficult. At six deck, H17, 12:1 spread, you would have to bet one unit at counts of 0 and below and 12 units at counts of one and above. No gradation in the ramp at all.

You need to back-count this game.

> For expediency I fell into using hi-lo lite,
    > by Arnold Snyder I think. Has served me
    > pretty well and was easy but figure I should
    > start memorizing the Illustrious 18. Any
    > comments?

> I have been counting using hi-lo for about a
    > year. I play a low minimum game spreading $3
    > (if I can find it) to occasionally $30 or
    > more. Playing mostly 6-deck H17 as those are
    > the only low minimum games I can find where
    > I travel. I have a limited, but growing
    > bankroll. Anyone have a calculation of what
    > value I should expect from changing indices?

1st base

1st base: The old adage.......

A little knowledge can be dangerous......certainly applies to me. I was unaware of dividing by half-decks, and have been dividing by whole decks. Have been worried that my past successes were a result of positive fluctuation, now I am more concerned. No S17 games around the places where I usually play, think I may be stuck with the game and backcounting.

Really appreciate your insight,and the unbelievably quick reply. Thanks.

1st base

> Generally HiLo Illustrious 18 is less than
    > 10% better than HiLo-Lite. In this case it
    > is closer to 20-25% (assuming 75%
    > penetration.) Six deck H17 is really awful.
    > The biggest problem with HiLo-Lite is not
    > the indexes. It is the fact that you divide
    > by half-decks instead of full decks. This
    > compresses the true counts into a very
    > narrow range in a single level count. At 75%
    > penetration, 63% of your true counts will be
    > 0. This makes optimal betting difficult. At
    > six deck, H17, 12:1 spread, you would have
    > to bet one unit at counts of 0 and below and
    > 12 units at counts of one and above. No
    > gradation in the ramp at all.

> You need to back-count this game.