Thread: Hollywood: This was the iceing on the cake.

Hollywood

Hollywood: This was the iceing on the cake.

Sitting in the Pit last night where the minimum bet is $100.00 a hand. The guy next to me with a $300.00 bet up stands on a soft 6.

I see it happen at the lower dollar amount tables, but that was the firs time I saw a person do it for big money.

Any similar stories?

Hollywood

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: This was the ICING (!) on the cake.

> Sitting in the Pit last night where the
    > minimum bet is $100.00 a hand. The guy next
    > to me with a $300.00 bet up stands on a soft
    > 6.

> I see it happen at the lower dollar amount
    > tables, but that was the firs time I saw a
    > person do it for big money.

Size of bet and intelligence in playing the hands have little correlation, if any. I've seen dumber.

Don

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: This was the iceing on the cake.

Saw a guy DD on hard-17 with a $500 bet. He drew a 3. Maybe he knew something I didn't.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: This was the ICING on the cake.

> Saw a guy DD on hard-17 with a $500 bet. He
    > drew a 3. Maybe he knew something I didn't.

Ya figure?! Probably was James! :-)

Don

Pro Player

Pro Player: Sometimes it is the correct move.

I've stood on lower totals, and miraculouly saved the table!

second, i believe it is called soft 16.

Pro Player

Pro Player: Oh yeah, well I saw a guy

double a hard nineteen and draw a 2 with a black bet, and 18 for a 3 and 17 for a 4, but I draw the line at 20. Not the type of play you wanna make often with any kind of bet out. Then again, even if you are betting small, when the dealer and everyone at the table begin to refer to you as the "psychic" it's may be time to leave.

Wildcard

Wildcard: since you asked...

Playing 3rd base at the volcano a couple of years ago. Guy sits down next to me with a handful of yellows and purples. He bets a purple and gets a pair of 3s against the dealer's Ace. The player splits the 3s and tosses another purple out.

First hand catches an 8 and he doubles, yet another purple for $1.5k, gets a 6. Second hand totals out to 18 with a hit. Dealer turns over a 9 in the hole and clears the table.

I turn to this guy and make a comment about it being about the dumbest thing I've ever seen (probably shouldn't have said it), but it all happened in about 7 seconds. Guy responds with "I knew it was wrong, but I was just feeling cocky".

Go figure!!

PS, I didn't have the heart to correct iceing. :-)

MathProf

MathProf: I agree

Last month I had 2 bets of $200 each out (total of $400) and stood on a hard 5. In the situation I was facing, it was the mathematically correct play. I ran some numbers on it at home later, I think the play had about $20 EV. I can try to look them up if you want.

BTW, the dealer had a 5 up and went on to break. Everyone else at the table thank me profusely.

Pro Player

Pro Player: Question:

Was the pit/dealer suspicious?

I'm don't think I would make such a suspicious play these days for an extra 5%. But then again, some of these plays can get an extra 50%, 100%, or sometimes more.

MathProf

MathProf: It was obvious

The next card was inadvertently exposed when the dealer incorrectly hit the guy next to me. I tired to get the card burned. I actually believe they would have burned it if it had been a 4 or a 5 which helped my hand. But the boss said "That is the next card to be dealt". I looked around, and figured that giving the card to the dealer was better than taking it for myself.

> Was the pit/dealer suspicious?

> I'm don't think I would make such a
    > suspicious play these days for an extra 5%.
    > But then again, some of these plays can get
    > an extra 50%, 100%, or sometimes more.

BigFish

BigFish: Nice move

I'm surprised the jerk didn't try to burn it after you didn't want it.

Pro Player

Pro Player: Indeed, nice move. *NM*