Thread: 12 to 16: Probability and Statistics Books

12 to 16

12 to 16: Probability and Statistics Books

What book(s) on probability and statistics do you recommend for a player who wants to understand all the underlying math of BJA, risk of ruin calculations, etc? I am familiar with algebra and calculus and not entirely unfamiliar with probability.

El Poet

El Poet: Re: Probability and Statistics Books

> What book(s) on probability and statistics
    > do you recommend for a player who wants to
    > understand all the underlying math of BJA,
    > risk of ruin calculations, etc? I am
    > familiar with algebra and calculus and not
    > entirely unfamiliar with probability.
    Hi,
    Before I offer you some references, let me suggest that you may not be asking the right question. Please do not take offense, I'm just seeing myself asking the same question as I was an undergraduate (a long time ago.) The applied math in BJ is fundamental, but you can spend time on more abstract theoretical math when you should be in the field (ie real world play). To be honest, you may or may not be better equipped than I to digest and apply this from what little you share so far. The mere fact that you mention "ROR" makes you a relatively astute newcomer. But the distilled rules are what I'd start with so you know where the fringes are.

The Theory of Blackjack LV:GBC - Peter A. Griffin
    Theory of Gambling and Staistical Logic NY: Academic Press - R.A. Epstein (BJ Chapter)

Bettie

Bettie: Try the online catalog

Both of these books are available from RGE in our online catalog, where you can find some other books that may help you, as well.

FYI, The Theory of Blackjack by Peter Griffin is published by HP, not GBC.

Thanks,
    Bettie

> The Theory of Blackjack LV:GBC - Peter A.
    > Griffin

> Theory of Gambling and Staistical Logic NY:
    > Academic Press - R.A. Epstein (BJ Chapter)

El Poet

El Poet: Re: Try the online catalog

> Both of these books are available from RGE
    > in our online catalog, where you can find
    > some other books that may help you, as well.

> FYI, The Theory of Blackjack by Peter
    > Griffin is published by HP, not GBC.

> Thanks,
    > Bettie
    Geeze, I meant to mention where to get them too. Sorry about the mistake on the publisher. RGE is a great place to get these books and lots more. I just experienced their great service today as a matter of fact.

El Poet

El Poet: Re: Try the online catalog

> Geeze, I meant to mention where to get them
    > too. Sorry about the mistake on the
    > publisher. RGE is a great place to get these
    > books and lots more. I just experienced
    > their great service today as a matter of
    > fact.
    Here is another link you may find helpful for both theoretical background and software: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~chance/tea...book/book.html