Thread: scott: ?FOB or TOB?

scott

scott: ?FOB or TOB?

let's say that i was on a tight budget (which i am!) and i was considering these two books: C&R's "Fundamentals of Blackjack" or Griffin's "Theory of Blackjack". which would be most useful, any opinions? i know many are going to say both, but i'm sure there is one that i can get the most out of. eg: TOB being too theoretical and impratical for the non-mathematitian; or FOB being too basic and non-eye opening, so to speak.

thanks for your time.
    scott

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Reading TOB is a bit like taking Latin.

You will never get to use Latin in conversation, but it greatly improves your understanding of language in general. Personally, I don't think of TOB as required reading in preparation for playing BJ. But to answer your question, we'd need to know what else you've read and your objectives.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: ?FOB or TOB?

I agree with Norm. That's a pretty strange choice to consider. Let us know what your experience is, and, in particular, what books you already own.

Don

scott

scott: Re: ?FOB or TOB?

well, i own Blackjack for Blood, WGBJB, Million Dollar Blackjack, Blackjack Wisdom, Burning the Tables in Las Vegas, Knock-Out Blackjack, Basic Blackjack, Blackjack Attack (the best!), Blackjack Secrets (another good one) and Dalton's reference. i guess i am just looking for a good reference book to kind of close off the library. Also thinking about Blackbelt in Blackjack (in addition to one of the two we're talking about), except i don't the Zen count so i'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks again.

G Man

G Man: Ready for TOB ! *NM*

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Yes, I agree

Fundamentals is a fine book, but if you're buying just one, go for ToB, and own the most important book for theory of bj, of all time.

Don

scott

scott: Re: Yes, I agree

awesome, i couldn't thank you guys enough.

J Morgan

J Morgan: Re: ?FOB or TOB?

I have to dissent--sort of. Of the two you specifically mention, I'd lean towards Theory of Blackjack. However, given the list of books you already own, I'd say that neither FoB nor ToB will add much to your game in the practical terms of making $$.

Blackbelt in Blackjack, on the other hand, has stuff other than the Zen Count. There is some material on shuffle tracking, for instance, and much more in Chapters 11-16. If I were you, I'd buy Blackbelt. Then buy ToB. Both of these are well worth it.

scott

scott: Re: ?FOB or TOB?

i was just thinking about that. that's certainly what i'm going to do.

Cheers.