Thread: Hollywood: Mental errors are expensive

Hollywood

Hollywood: Mental errors are expensive

I just had something happen to me last night in Ac that cost me alot of money. It was nothing but stupidity on my part, but I thought it was worth a mention.

I was playing in the Pit ($100.00 minimum bet) and flat betting that amount, being patient for my turn. All of a sudden i'm at -4 (I only play KO preferred)and I begin to increase my bet. As i'm winning a few hands in a row the count escalates to +9 and i'm up to two hands of $800.00 each.

On the first hand I have an Ace/5 and on the 2nd hand I have a BJ. The dealer has an ace showing. (A must take insurance situation.)
    Now you must understand what i'm about to say. If you look at previous posts by me in the last few weeks, I just spent close to 2 weeks in the carribean. When you have a BJ in the islands and the dealer has an Ace showing you simply announce "even money" and they pay you and move on. In AC you must actually put up the insurance money and go through the routine. So i'm figuring I will put up the insurance money on the 2nd hand let them pay me the $800.00 then the dealer would move on to address the rest of the table (including my first hand) after she pays me.

Instead, what happened was as follows. She does not pay me and quickly looks at her whole card announces her BJ and quickly pays me the $800 on my BJ and takes away my uninsured hand.

What I should have done was insure both hands at the same time. By playing 11 nights under differnt conditions I did not make the proper adjustments.

I guess sometimes we need to remember where we are. Anyway I just thought I would mention it.

Regards

Hollywood

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Mental errors are expensive

> I guess sometimes we need to remember where
    > we are. Anyway I just thought I would
    > mention it.

My standard procedure in all such cases, no matter where I am, is to immediately put a stop to all play by asking the dealer, "How much do I need?" whether or not I ultimately even wind up taking the insurance. That gives you a chance to stop and think about what the right play is and what you want to do, before something like the above can happen.

Sorry for your loss.

Don

Hollywood

Hollywood: Re: Mental errors are expensive

> My standard procedure in all such cases, no
    > matter where I am, is to immediately put a
    > stop to all play by asking the dealer,
    > "How much do I need?" whether or
    > not I ultimately even wind up taking the
    > insurance. That gives you a chance to stop
    > and think about what the right play is and
    > what you want to do, before something like
    > the above can happen.

> Sorry for your loss.

> Don

You know Don, I didn't mention this, but I got so excited that the count jumped up that hi, I may have added to my own problem by losing my cool a bit.

Here's a laugher for you. I actually said to the dealer. "What are you doing, I wanted insurance on that hand? (she already had my money)
    That really went over well Don. I probably should of said. "Listen lady, i'm Schlesinger's pupil and he said"

Anyway Don, one thing about me. It may have been an expensive mistake and i'm sure I will make many more. But trust me, I won't make that one again. And it was still a winning session.
    next time I will stop the action.

I owe it all to THE DON

Thanks for support
    Hollywood