Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: artguy: 16 vs. ace for 1dk, 2dk, 6dk games

artguy

artguy: 16 vs. ace for 1dk, 2dk, 6dk games

Given the same circumstances of DOA, DAS, Sp3, & SpA1 for 1dk, 2dk, and 3dk games, would you hit the 16 against dealer Ace using the same indice?

I ask because Canfield suggests standing on TC9 across the board while May proposes always standing on 16 in 1dk games. Are these systems "passing in the night" or am I grossly misinterpreting what they say?

My intuition tells me that there are different indices for different games. In a 1dk game I certainly wouldn't want to hit the 16 at TC8 while I might do that in a 6dk.

Are different indices available for the different games? If so, please point me in the direction of these higher truths.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: 16 vs. ace for 1dk, 2dk, 6dk games

Don

artguy

artguy: Re: 16 vs. ace for 1dk, 2dk, 6dk games

John May advocates in "Get the Edge at BJ" on P 161 to "draw to 16 vs. Ace" when playing basic strategy against Single Deck. Perhaps he would suggest something else for the counter...I haven't found it yet.

Is May to be disregarded or does he "know" something?

Don Schlesinger

"John May advocates in "Get the Edge at BJ" on P 161 to "draw to 16 vs. Ace" when playing basic strategy against Single Deck."

Which is it? It is BS to hit 16 v. ace, no matter how many decks, if you can't surrender. If you count, you will have an index past which it is correct to stand. You sound a little confused here.

Don

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Sorry, typo: "May" should be capitalized

artguy

I was under the impression that standing on 16 vs. Ace had the same affect as drawing to 16 V. Ace as expressed in May's SD basic strategy . In either case the draw is ended at 16. This appears to conflict with your BS position (and everyone elses) to hit 16 V. A unless the indice calls for surrender.

If there is legitimacy to May's position to stand, it would appear that the door is cracked to treat SD differently from 2D and 6D. And this brings me back to my original question of whether you use the same indice for all decks when faced with 16 v. A. or does this have to be re-thought?

Don Schlesinger

Thanks.

Don

artguy

I found this information in Appendix C "Basic Strategy for Single Deck" (p.161). May lists the following under "when to draw" for "Hard Hands"

"Draw to 11 vs. all"
    "Draw to 12 vs. 2 or 3"
    "Draw to 16 vs. 7-10"
    "Draw to 16 vs. Ace"

May would be in step with your thinking if he had said "Draw at 16 vs. Ace. Could this be just a typo?

Artguy

Don Schlesinger

The English language is not one of John's strong points. Come to think of it, I'm not sure exactly what is! :-)

Don

Kyle Sever

Kyle Sever: Care you to offer some help?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Care you to offer some help?

I've only done that for about, oh, 30-40 BJ books, over the years. But, John's isn't going to tbe one of them!

Don

Kyle Sever

Kyle Sever: Oh no, you didn't notice!

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Sorry for the typo

Sorry. No excuses.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast