Thread: Reid DeCardes: Vegas Day Trip Question

Reid DeCardes

Reid DeCardes: Vegas Day Trip Question

I am going to Las Vegas for 5 days. Whenever I go I like to plan 1 day where I rent a car and drive through the desert. No, I don't mean Sheri's Ranch! So far I have been to Death Valley, Red Rock, Valley of Fire, and Mount Zion.

Any suggestions for a place to go to? I could always do Death Valley again, but it would be nice to see something new.

Thanks in advance.

Wildcard

Wildcard: Re: Vegas Day Trip Question

I assume when you say "Mount Zion", you mean Zion National Park. If so, you may want to consider a bit more of a drive to Bryce Canyon National Park. Catching the sun at the right angle will provide you with some spectacular color in the hoodoos. I was there in late April a few years ago, almost had the place to ourselves. I'd recommend staying at the Bryce Best Western, right at the entrance to the park...the steak house was exceptional, considering you're in the middle of nowhere.

Another consideration might be to the north rim of the Grand Canyon if you go that way, or the south rim, which might be a full day deal. Additonal adventures abound in GC National Park with a little research.

GL with your trip and adventures.

WC

Bettie

Bettie: If I had a day

I would drive to Pahrump and visit the winery. The have daily tours and the drive is nice. Pahrump isn't much to look at (I spent a day out there while looking to invest in some property), but the winery is supposed to be very beautiful. I'm sure the stuff they make isn't Opus One, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't come in a box, either!

Bettie

Wolverine

Wolverine: Boulder Dam

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see that you have stopped by Boulder Dam and Lake Meade. There is a new visitors' center that you can go to for a tour and to learn about the dam.

Bettie

Bettie: No more hard hat tours

I toured Boulder Dam in May of 2001 with family, and at the time you could choose between the standard or hard hat tour, with the latter taking longer and going deeper into the workings of the dam. After 9/11, they stopped offering that tour for fear of attacks/information gathering on the dam made by terrorists posing as tourists, with the intention of offering it again in the future. However, it looks like they won't be bringing that tour back, which is a shame. I've always wanted to take the hard hat tour, but was with elderly relatives who couldn't handle it and had to take the standard tour. It was still very interesting, and I recommend it highly.

Bettie

Wolverine

Wolverine: tours

Thanks Bettie for the info. Family will be coming out sometime in '07 and they wanted to go to the Dam (that's what made me think of it) and I'm sure they had a tour last time they went (in the 90's) and would want it again. I'll let them know.

Lightning

Lightning: Re: tours

You could alos try Red Rock Canyon.

> Thanks Bettie for the info. Family will be coming out
    > sometime in '07 and they wanted to go to the Dam
    > (that's what made me think of it) and I'm sure they
    > had a tour last time they went (in the 90's) and would
    > want it again. I'll let them know.

Wolverine

Wolverine: Thanks *NM*