Thread: sailor: Downtown trip report

sailor

sailor: Downtown trip report

I just got back from a 5 day trek into that frustrating but often rewarding challenge of card counting. I played exclusively at $5 1D/2D tables and used KO. Here are my observations:

EC is still the greatest place for SD. I was back-off here two years ago, so I kept a low profile with a modest 1-4 red spread and experienced absolutely no heat, even with a couple of 3-4 hour sessions. Lots of locals here playing Royal Match which slows down the game. Some dealers give RO7. Lots of tables open.

4Q: They had 2 1D tables with a pen of about 55-60%. Tables were surprisingly never full, and I even got heads-up a few times on graveyard shift. Several 2D tables available but did not play them.

Plaza: My favorite 2D venue. They always have 2-4 2D DAS tables open and the pen is close to 70%. Liberally spread 1-8 without ever getting a dirty look. Had my best winning session here.

LVC: I checked out this place a few times and all they had was that liberal 21 garbage game. But on Friday night they opened up two 2D DAS game. They were proud to advertise that DAS was back. There is hope for this joint yet. A few years ago, I loved this place with their good 1D games, but it has gone downhill since.

HS: Boy, have they ever screwed up Benny's place.
    Couldn't find a $5. table all week. The only 1D table was 6:5. Did not play here.

Fitz: One table $5. 2D no DAS, but it was not always open.
    I used to like this place with their 2D DAS with good pen games, but that is over for now.

I checked out MSS and Cal, but did not play. No DAS, pen not great, and tables were full.

Fremont: Not worth playing, plus they have the annoying habit of yelling 'Checks play' when someone puts down 5 red chips.

GN: The class of downtown comes with a price. No $5 1D/2D games. This is where I stayed for the week. Nice south tower room, but the pool was closed for renovations. Their buffet is now on the second floor, and I had the breakfast and the Friday seafood dinner buffet, and they were both great.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the better playing conditions as compared to two years ago. I had another winning trip (now 4 for 4), although my gains were more modest this time. I seemed to get a lot of stiff hands with the count up in the statosphere. Meanwhile, the ploppies around me who had no clue, were getting naturals. Several timely insurance bets came through for me.

Sailor

Wildcard

Wildcard: Nothing on the Western ?

Can't be an "official" Downtown TR without a Western visit.

:-)

WC

Sonny

Sonny: I'll indulge you

When I was there last July they had only 1 SD table and 1 6D table open. I checked back several times but never could find any open spots. Their 6D shuffle was a stepladder-style shuffle and wasn't easily trackable. Hopefully they won't get rid of their BJ tables like the Gold Spike did.

-Sonny-

Bettie

Bettie: Thanks for the report

No one really seems to post them anymore; thanks!

Bettie

Wildcard

Wildcard: Re: I'll indulge you

> When I was there last July they had only 1 SD table
    > and 1 6D table open. I checked back several times but
    > never could find any open spots. Their 6D shuffle was
    > a stepladder-style shuffle and wasn't easily
    > trackable. Hopefully they won't get rid of their BJ
    > tables like the Gold Spike did.

> -Sonny-

I haven't been to the Western in a couple of years. I recall them having at least 4 tables, with a lowboy SD game near the entrance back then. Betting green always generated a "checks play", which I found humorous. It's a bit on the seedy side, and I'd never eat in the restaurant there, but it's a classic joint, especially with the Bingo game calling in the background. A break-in place for dealers, the oriental lady we had just mostly smiled and nodded her head. Cashing in about $400 at the window next to the bar actually generated a call to somewhere before they paid me. As I recall they used EC cards at the BJ tables.

Overall not as bad a place as many think, just some folks really down on their luck and a bit socially challenged. I was with Dallas Barrister at the time, we left our rental in the parking lot and walked up Fremont till late at night. I don't recommend walking from Binion's to the Western at around midnight!

Regards,
    WC