Thread: Bettie: Monorail ... EXPANDING!?!?

Bettie

Bettie: Monorail ... EXPANDING!?!?

Yep, that's right! The revenue-losing, junk bond status, seemingly constantly closed Las Vegas monorail is actually going to be expanded! Fortunately, it will only be extended to the airport and the major convention centers, as well as hit some spots on the West side of the Strip. When I say "fortunately," I mean for me, as potential plans were discussed to bring the hunk of crap into Green Valley, pretty much right across the street from me.

There is absolutely no way that Las Vegas will ever be able to have a decent transportation system. It wasn't considered or implemented early enough (unlike, say Chicago and it's L lines that were built in the 20s and consolidated and made public in the 40s). It's too much of a car culture here, so it's a much better plan to keep the damn thing out of the neighborhoods, and focus on the convention centers and tourism industry.

I still think it's not going to do well from the airport, though. WIth all the luggage people bring, it's always helpful to have a hand with that and not to be lugging it up and down stairs.

Here's a link to the whole story in today's paper.

Bettie

BlackJackHack

BlackJackHack: Re: Monorail ... EXPANDING!?!?

I disagree.

The Vegas Strip is actually the PERFECT place for a rapid transit line - huge amount of traffic all going up and down a single corridor. The problem is that they didn't build the monorail on the strip, but, rather, built it on Paradise.

Extending it to the Airport will make the monorail much more relevant. Rapid transit lines go to many airports (both Chicago Airports, DC National, Boston, JFK, SFO, just about every major airport in Europe), and it is usually the best way to get into town, unless you are carrying 26 bags.

Flying into McCarran at 6pm on a Friday, I'd much rather get on a train to the Strip then sit in traffic in a cab/rental car/shuttle. It can take 20 minutes just to get to the front of the taxi line or just to get to your rental car. As for the shared hotel shuttles, it can take 45 minutes just to get to your hotel if traffic is bad and you're not lucky enough to be the first stop.

As for the rest of the Valley, I agree that rapid transit is a lost cause because the development is way too spread out (i.e., generic suburban sprawl). Like most of the newer places in America, public transit is only for the very poor (and those who can't drive due to disability, license suspension, etc.).

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Cars are obsolete

And if city planners don't realize this soon enough, humans will be obsolete.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Monorail ... EXPANDING!?!?

> Extending it to the Airport will make the monorail
    > much more relevant. Rapid transit lines go to many
    > airports (both Chicago Airports, DC National, Boston,
    > JFK, SFO, just about every major airport in Europe),
    > and it is usually the best way to get into town,
    > unless you are carrying 26 bags.

Agree. I have taken the rapid transit lines to the airports in Chicago, DC and in London. Frankly, as a city dweller I'd like to see personal cars eventually banned from the city. In fact, few people on my island own cars. In the meantime since I live on an island, a $50 toll to take a bridge or tunnel onto the island would help.