Thread: Jay: Trip Report (brief)

Jay

Jay: Trip Report (brief)

Just back from a few days in town. Here's some observations:

Stayed downtown as usual. Took the bus from airport with 2 (small) bags, no hassle. A book to read on the way helps pass the time.

LVC & Plaza no longer offer DAS on DD games, but the pen continues to be the best using the cut card slot on the discard tray. Plaza took me for $100 in one shoe when the count jumped and I got all stiffys.

4Q has two $5 single-deck 3:2 tables going all the time. Spent mucho time there. More than made up for the Plaza.

Fitz no longer has $5 DD games, I only saw $10 minimums.

The Plaza has a 100-play 9/6 JOB video poker machine. I hit my first ever Royal Flush for 4000 pennies.

The best ongoing promo in town is WinChips - $15 in chips for $10. Made profit at Excalibur, Circus, and Slots-a-Fun. However I got creamed on my coupon run at Venetian, Riviera, and Lady Luck. Had better luck at the Strat - won craps, lost baccarat, and got paid 2-1/2 to 1 on the double BJ coupon.

LVC's Upper Deck restaurant now closes on Wed & Thurs nights to clean the kitchen fans, so you can't get the steak & eggs special.

The day bus trip to Laughlin is ok, but I would have liked more time there. Edgewater has only 6:5 games, but Pioneer still has 3:2 single-deck. $5 DD at Flamingo, Nugget, and River Palms.

The Royal in spades was up to over $3500 at the 4Q progressive .25 bar VP games.

I paid 1/2 price for two of my 9 meals, the rest were comped.

Overall I had a great time, and came home with enough to cover airfare, hotel, expenses, and a bit of profit. Woohoo!

Jay

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Trip Report (brief)

> The best ongoing promo in town is WinChips - $15 in
    > chips for $10. Made profit at Excalibur, Circus, and
    > Slots-a-Fun. However I got creamed on my coupon run at
    > Venetian, Riviera, and Lady Luck. Had better luck at
    > the Strat - won craps, lost baccarat, and got paid
    > 2-1/2 to 1 on the double BJ coupon.

It's not downtown, which may be why you didn't catch it, but Westin Causarina also runs a $25 gets you $40 in free play (which you run once through their VP and then cash out your profit). For a brief but glorious time, they offered $300 gets you $600 in free play. (Actually, your choice of $100/$200, $200/$400, or $300/$600, but everyone was savvy enough to take full advantage.) Just handing out $300 to anyone who asked wouldn't have generated the kind of attention that promo got! I was in line for well over an hour to take advantage (fortunately, we were in line in front of Mason Malmuth, so we had someone to talk to for that time. Mason's a huge Civil War buff - more of an historian, really, and he had lots of great stories to tell.

A friend in the slot club there told us that the whole thing was the owner's idea (so he had no one to fire when they lost #$@&loads of money). His original idea was $1000 get you $2000 (if only!). As it was, the cage had to pay with $20s because they ran out of Bennies every night. I don't know how long it ran, but the promo ended the night I took advantage, so I really lucked out.

Ah, AP memories!
    Bettie

Oh yeah, thanks for the report, Jay!

Count of Montecristo

Count of Montecristo: Re: Trip Report (brief)

When did the Plaza cut out DAS on the DD game?

> Just back from a few days in town. Here's some
    > observations:

> Stayed downtown as usual. Took the bus from airport
    > with 2 (small) bags, no hassle. A book to read on the
    > way helps pass the time.

> LVC & Plaza no longer offer DAS on DD games, but
    > the pen continues to be the best using the cut card
    > slot on the discard tray. Plaza took me for $100 in
    > one shoe when the count jumped and I got all stiffys.

> 4Q has two $5 single-deck 3:2 tables going all the
    > time. Spent mucho time there. More than made up for
    > the Plaza.

> Fitz no longer has $5 DD games, I only saw $10
    > minimums.

> The Plaza has a 100-play 9/6 JOB video poker machine.
    > I hit my first ever Royal Flush for 4000 pennies.

> The best ongoing promo in town is WinChips - $15 in
    > chips for $10. Made profit at Excalibur, Circus, and
    > Slots-a-Fun. However I got creamed on my coupon run at
    > Venetian, Riviera, and Lady Luck. Had better luck at
    > the Strat - won craps, lost baccarat, and got paid
    > 2-1/2 to 1 on the double BJ coupon.

> LVC's Upper Deck restaurant now closes on Wed &
    > Thurs nights to clean the kitchen fans, so you can't
    > get the steak & eggs special.

> The day bus trip to Laughlin is ok, but I would have
    > liked more time there. Edgewater has only 6:5 games,
    > but Pioneer still has 3:2 single-deck. $5 DD at
    > Flamingo, Nugget, and River Palms.

> The Royal in spades was up to over $3500 at the 4Q
    > progressive .25 bar VP games.

> I paid 1/2 price for two of my 9 meals, the rest were
    > comped.

> Overall I had a great time, and came home with enough
    > to cover airfare, hotel, expenses, and a bit of
    > profit. Woohoo!

> Jay

Parker

Parker: Re: Trip Report (brief)

> When did the Plaza cut out DAS on the DD game?

A couple of weeks ago. Probably has to do with a new management team taking over.

I hate to sound like the voice of doom, but I expect to see it revert to H17 when it is time to replace the table felts.

Count of Montecristo

Count of Montecristo: Re: Trip Report (brief)

It just keeps getting worse and worse for BJ. I used to play BJ 4 days a week and no limit Hold em 2 days a week, that's been reversed in the last few months and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for the diminishing conditions of BJ, sorry to say. Thanks for the info.

> A couple of weeks ago. Probably has to do with a new
    > management team taking over.

> I hate to sound like the voice of doom, but I expect
    > to see it revert to H17 when it is time to replace the
    > table felts.