Thread: Bettie: Hotel Pool Health Risks

Bettie

Bettie: Hotel Pool Health Risks

For those of you thinking that I'm about to spew some spam urban legend crap, pay close attention: 3 birds with serious diseases have been removed from The Mirage hotel pool. 2 birds had West Nile, and one had the even more dangerous St. Louis encephalitis. While humans cannot contract the diseases from the birds directly, they are passed via mosquitos, which are in abundance right now because of the current monsoon season and all of the thunderstorms and standing water. It's very difficult for a mosquito to pick up the virus from ducks, but it's "an indicator that the viruses have found a foothold in the community," according to the newspaper article.

I have received a lot of phone calls and e-mails from our community members indicating that they will be visiting in the coming weeks, so I thought I'd put out a general warning to you all. The link to the article is below, and you'll notice that the article downplays the significance of the finding. While I'm not trying to scare anyone, I think that they are downplaying it on purpose because of the potentiality of this finding affecting tourism, as well as the fact that they don't want to face litigation from The Mirage if this story affects their sales.

So, I'm just putting the facts out there; do with them what you will.

Bettie

Saboteur

Saboteur: "The Mirage hotel pool"

We ARE talking about a pond built specifically for the ducks and not a swimming pool, right?

Your use of the term "The Mirage hotel pool" seems misleading, IMO.

Just wait 'til the avian flu gets here. This is nothing.

Bettie

Bettie: Not my intention

Certainly not my intenetion; I assumed that everyone has seen the birds that hang out in the pool (lagoon, perhaps?) in front of the hotel where the volcano action takes place. Many, many more people come in contact with those ducks as they walk by and/or stop to watch the volcano or take pictures than who are hotel guests allowed to enter the pool area.

My apologies for any confusion.
    Bettie