Thread: Parker: Rolling Stones to play Las Vegas

Parker

Parker: Rolling Stones to play Las Vegas

As expected, The Rolling Stones have added a Las Vegas appearance to their upcoming tour. They will do a show at the MGM Grand on Friday, November 18, 2005.

I was fortunate enough to catch them at the MGM Grand on their last tour. This is a great place to see the Stones, as it is one of the smallest venues that they will play on this tour, seating around 14,000.

Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster at 10:00 am Pacific time on Saturday, August 6, 2005.

If you want a shot at better seats, you can join their fan club (for $100), which will allow you to purchase tickets starting at 10:00 am Pacific time Wednesday, August 6, 2005.

You heard it here first. :-)

Parker

Parker: Update

The show is still scheduled as above, but ticket sales are on hold. New on-sale dates will be announced "later in August." I will post them as soon as I find out, but I would suggest that anyone interesting in attending this show should frequently check Ticketmaster and/or the Stones' website.

methodman

methodman: Metallica is the backup band seems a little bit odd no? *NM*

Bettie

Bettie: No!

Metallica is another band that has stood the test of time, has several classic hits, and has shown a wide range of ability and interest within their music. They may not be putting out pop music, and even their soulful ballads have a real edge to them, but they put on one hell of a show and have real talent.

Ever heard their S&M album? It stands for "Symphony and Metallica" and puts them in front of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra for a real treat. The songs become a little softer to complement the symphony, and some of their ballads turn into lilting love songs, worthy of use at a wedding reception ("Nothing Else Matters"). To their credit, the symphony plays beautifully, expressing force and the edge that Metallica is traditionally known for through the slightest change in instrumental tone.

This in no way discounts their music as it was originally recorded, of course. Though I wasn't a fan a I grew up (being a typical pop music lover in my teens), I have grown to truly appreciate (surprising even myself) what many consider "noise" and I would go to this concert to see them over the Stones, personally.

When I lived in Chicago, I had a very influential friend who gave me and 3 friends press passes (just a few rows back from the corner of the stage) to see Metallica at the United Center, which had Kid Rock as an opening band (there was another, but I don't remember who), and it ranks as one of my top 3 big-venue concerts, along with Tom Petty and Prince concerts, also seen at the United Center.

I thought Tom Petty's opening act was an odd choice, myself, but they were great. It was the group The Blind Boys of Alabama, which consisted of several elderly blind black men signing bluesy gospel songs, and they were really, really awesome. Petty's willingness to showcase a band that may not have normally been associated with his fans' preferences opened me to another act that I never would have searched out myself (though I have a long history of blues concerts in my past). The Stones' choice may just open their fans' hearts to the music of Metallica!

Bettie

Parker

Parker: Not at all

Metallica is the opening act for the San Francisco shows, not the entire tour. Since Metallica is based in San Francisco, this seems a logical choice. The Stones have a long tradition of hiring "local bands" to open for them. :-)

Other opening acts announced for various shows on the tour include the Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam, John Mayer Trio, Les Trois Accords, The Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Trey Anastasio, Joss Stone and Beck.

The opening act for the Las Vegas show has not yet been announced.

The Stones usually hire younger bands for there opening acts. Of course, this may be out of necessity, since there aren't a whole lot of touring rock & roll bands composed of guys in their 60's. :-)

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Oh really!

> The Stones usually hire younger bands for there
    > opening acts. Of course, this may be out of necessity ..

Hilarious.

methodman

methodman: Bettie your jumping the gun.

> I never said I did not like Metallica, I also
    happen to love their duet with the symphony.
    I just thought it was an odd combo. Heavy metal
    with classic rock seems a tad odd to moi.

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Bettie your jumping the gun.

Well, you weren't specific about what surprised you, so I tried to cover the gamut. I find all of their opening act choices listed by Parker odd, and think that the Rolling Stones crowd will relate more to Metallica than to Joss Stone or Black Eyed Peas!

I used to know a girl who was related to Kirk Hammett. He's married to the girl's sister. She used to tell the funniest stories about the first few family gatherings and how surreal they were. I get the feeling, based on the stories and the girl herself, that Kirk married into a very white trash family. She has since moved back to CA and I haven't talked to her in a couple years.

Bettie

methodman

methodman: I met Keith Richards.

> years ago in Cabos San Lucas. You know
    he was not wasted but sure seemed that way, maybe
    after all the years of heavy h use. Keith was
    wearing a full length leather coat and it was
    around a solid 90 plus degrees outside.

System of down is also going on tour.

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis: Start Me Up!

> I was fortunate enough to catch them at the MGM Grand
    > on their last tour. This is a great place to see the
    > Stones, as it is one of the smallest venues that they
    > will play on this tour, seating around 14,000.

Years ago they toured in Florida and a friend of mine and I bought 2 dozen tix and resold them. No, we didn't get caught and we made nice EV off the process (Never did go to the show)

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis: Blind Boys of Alabama

>It was the group The
    > Blind Boys of Alabama, which consisted of several
    > elderly blind black men signing bluesy gospel songs,
    > and they were really, really awesome.

They have a cult following and it seems weird Petty would showcase them.