Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SpiderMan: Where is the best NY steak in town?

cvgtpc1

cvgtpc1: Re: Where is the best NY steak in town?

Statosphere is the best filet I've had, and doesn't take too much play to get it comped. Personally I've never had a good NY strip in a restaurant so I always go with the filet.

> Two good choices for steak.

> 1. Palms. Downstairs at Caesar's.

> 2. Stratosphere. Pricey of course.

> Personally, we hit several good places in
    > June of this year, but the consensus was
    > that the Palms was the best place we ate at,
    > even though it was not the most expensive
    > (it is not cheap of course).

Parker

Parker: Insider secrets

The Steakhouse at Circus Circus is indeed one of the better kept secrets in Las Vegas. The mystery is how this really excellent steakhouse with plenty of old Vegas charm ended up in the middle of Circus Circus.

Another find in an unexpected place is The Embers at the Imperial Palace. The IP buffet has a completely justified reputation as one of the worst buffets in Las Vegas. Fortunately, this does not extend to The Embers steakhouse, which is actually very good, and reasonably priced, if you cannot swing a comp.

Binion's Ranch Steak House used to be my favorite place downtown (located on the 24th floor, you get an awesome view of the strip with your steak), but I, too, have not been back since the Harrah's takeover. However, I have heard that they retained the entire restaurant staff, so hopefully they had enough sense to leave a good thing alone.

For elegant Chinese, try Lillie Langtry's at the Golden Nugget. As a bonus, they serve a pretty good steak here as well, although the emphasis is on the excellent Chinese cuisine.

On a recent visit to Las Vegas I also enjoyed an exceptional Asian dinner at Little Buddha, located in The Palms, courtesy of Viktor and Bettie (thanks guys). This restaurant also features a sushi bar.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Really? Here's two

Personally I've never had a good NY strip in a restaurant so I always go with the filet.

Here's two for you. Gallaghers at NYNY. And AJs at the Hard Rock.

I'd put those two versions of NY Strip against any steak house in the country! Really.

Gallaghers first, then AJs. I usually eat filet also, but in Vegas...well, these are unbelievable steaks.

But hey, I come from the land of Gene and Georgetti's, Mortons, Eli's, and a host of other phenomenal steak restaurants, so I'm a little biased.

Try it.

cheers
    bfb

Bettie

Bettie: AJs? Really?

> Personally I've never had a good NY strip
    > in a restaurant so I always go with the
    > filet. Here's two for you. Gallaghers at
    > NYNY. And AJs at the Hard Rock.

We had a pretty bad experience at AJs and haven't been back since. Viktor's steak was flavorless and overcooked, as was my salmon. The waitstaff acted like they were better than us, the customers were pretentious assholes, and the pianist wasn't in that night. At those prices, I'm not about to go back and see if it was a one-time thing. I have much more fun at Simon, and I've never had a bad meal there.

Bettie

bfbagain

bfbagain: Wow! I don't blame

you. I'm pretty hard on places that are relatively expensive that give both bad service, and food that's questionable.

What's funny here, is that's why I probably won't eat at "Simon's" again, for some of the very same reasons.

Not only is Simon's extraordinarily loud, (not that AJs isn't) but it's a little "too" California for me. (I'm also not fond of California Kitchens either. )

But boy I sure do agree about the Little Budda! It's one of my favorite sushi places in Vegas. While I'm mentioning the Palms, the Nine Steakhouse is pretty lame. It's also lame at it's original location. The Ghostbar, however, is way above the clouds (no pun intended) to it's original counterpart.

And I agree with you on Austins, and with Parker on the Embers at the IP.

But for old world elegance, service, and food, if you haven't been to Michaels.... This may be Vegas' best kept secret. And no wonder! Who'd a thunk it....being inside the barbaric coast.

What I'm really interested in though, are some fanatastic Szechuan restaurants. There used to be a really great one (originally from LA) on west Spring Mountain, but they sold out a couple of years ago.

Know any?

Thanks. BTW, any word on my inquiry?

cheers
    bfb

Sara

Sara: Re: Insider secrets

> The Steakhouse at Circus Circus is indeed
    > one of the better kept secrets in Las Vegas.
    > The mystery is how this really excellent
    > steakhouse with plenty of old Vegas charm
    > ended up in the middle of Circus Circus.

> Another find in an unexpected place is The
    > Embers at the Imperial Palace. The IP buffet
    > has a completely justified reputation as one
    > of the worst buffets in Las Vegas.
    > Fortunately, this does not extend to The
    > Embers steakhouse, which is actually very
    > good, and reasonably priced, if you cannot
    > swing a comp.

> Binion's Ranch Steak House used to be my
    > favorite place downtown (located on the 24th
    > floor, you get an awesome view of the strip
    > with your steak), but I, too, have not been
    > back since the Harrah's takeover. However, I
    > have heard that they retained the entire
    > restaurant staff, so hopefully they had
    > enough sense to leave a good thing alone.

> For elegant Chinese, try Lillie Langtry's at
    > the Golden Nugget. As a bonus, they serve a
    > pretty good steak here as well, although the
    > emphasis is on the excellent Chinese
    > cuisine.

> On a recent visit to Las Vegas I also
    > enjoyed an exceptional Asian dinner at
    > Little Buddha, located in The Palms,
    > courtesy of Viktor and Bettie (thanks guys).
    > This restaurant also features a sushi bar.

Parker,
    How is the buffet at the Monte Carlo? I will be staying there in February.

Thanks,
    Sara

Count of Montecristo

Count of Montecristo: Not Parker, but...

I was pleasantly surprised at the Monte Carlo buffet. It ain't the best in town, but it was pretty damn good. They will let you go in to look at what they have before you decide if you want it. A wide variety of choice in food at their buffet and a pretty fair game of blackjack as well, considering most of the rest of the strip in that area.

> Parker,
    > How is the buffet at the Monte Carlo? I will
    > be staying there in February.

> Thanks,
    > Sara

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: Re: AJs? Really?

> The waitstaff acted like they were better
    > than us ...

Maybe they are! I mean elevating yourself past 'degenerate ST'ing gambler' status ain't that hard.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan: Re: Not Parker, but...

> I was pleasantly surprised at the Monte
    > Carlo buffet. It ain't the best in town, but
    > it was pretty damn good. They will let you
    > go in to look at what they have before you
    > decide if you want it. A wide variety of
    > choice in food at their buffet and a pretty
    > fair game of blackjack as well, considering
    > most of the rest of the strip in that area.

So which buffet do u think is the best in town, Parker? Pleez let me know...

Bettie

Bettie: Check your e-mail *NM*

Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit: Best buffets

Not Parker either and usually not much of a buffet person, but I must say I was really impressed with the Spice Market buffet at the Aladdin. My wife and I had breakfast there and we liked the food so much we went back for dinner later that trip. Fantastic!

I have also heard that the Bellagio has great buffets, but like just about everything at that place, you'll pay a high price for it.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Check your e-mail-you too :) *NM*

Battery

Battery: I'm not Parker either

> So which buffet do u think is the best in
    > town, Parker? Pleez let me know...

I've always heard that the Rio has the best seafood buffet. The Mirage buffet was/is closed for remodeling. I'm not sure what their status is now but it used to be very good too.

I'd also vote for Mandalay Bay except for the time I went back for some butter for a roll and returned after just a few seconds only to find my still pretty full plate gone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast