Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bettie: Only in Nevada!

Bettie

Bettie: Only in Nevada!

Too funny!

ELY, Nevada (AP) ? A county commission race in this gambling state was decided in true Nevada fashion ? by the luck of the draw.

After finishing Tuesday's election tied with 1,847 votes each, Robert Swetich and Raymond Urrizaga agreed to draw cards to resolve the deadlocked White Pine County commission race.

Urrizaga drew first, choosing a queen of clubs. His opponent pulled the seven of diamonds, then congratulated the winner.

Nevada law provides for drawing lots to break a tie, giving the candidates the option of tossing a coin, drawing straws or picking a card.

Battery

Battery: Re: Only in Nevada!

Your election post reminded me of a question I've had for some time and it came up again Tuesday night watching the election returns:

Is it "Nevadda" or "Nevahda"?

There was no consistency among the networks.

And I'm making this post knowing there is a chance of the discussion going downhill and turning into "tomato" or "tomahto", etc. I hope it doesn't.

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Only in Nevada!

> Is it "Nevadda" or
    > "Nevahda"?

To the natives, it's definitely "Nevadda." Here in New York, everyone says "Nevahda." What's more, many natives say "Los Vegas," instead of "Las Vegas," which I have always found curious.

In addition, I'm sure the natives say "Oar-uh-gun," whereas we tend to say "Are-uh-gon." Finally, you may say "Floor-ih-duh," whereas we tend to say "Flarriduh."

> There was no consistency among the networks.

Because the anchors come from all over. I think Dan Rather is from the south, I'm not sure where Tom Brokaw is from, and Peter Jennings is Canadian.

> And I'm making this post knowing there is a
    > chance of the discussion going downhill and
    > turning into "tomato" or
    > "tomahto", etc. I hope it doesn't.

Well, I'm guilty of adding a few new ones, above, but, hey, every once in a while we can take a break from blackjack.

Don

Battery

Battery: Re: Only in Nevada!

> Because the anchors come from all over. I
    > think Dan Rather is from the south, I'm not
    > sure where Tom Brokaw is from, and Peter
    > Jennings is Canadian.

Rather is a Texan. I sincerely wish someone would tell him terror is not pronounced "terra".

Bettie

Bettie: Re: Only in Nevada!

> Is it "Nevadda" or
    > "Nevahda"?

The original Spanish pronunciation, which no one uses anymore, was actually "Nay-vah-da." There's a September article in the LVRJ regarding this matter and the history behind the various pronunciations. I found it interesting; maybe others will, too. Link below.

Bettie

Sun Runner

Sun Runner: You have to listen more closely

> Because the anchors come from all over. I
    > think Dan Rather is from the south, I'm not
    > sure where Tom Brokaw is from, and Peter
    > Jennings is Canadian.

Clarification ..

Dan Rather is from the Non-Random Progressionist state of "I fiddled away my ratings and watched them go in the tank while I and my employer quit being a respectable news outlet and became a smarmy political shill."

(seperated at birth: dan rather and james carville.)

Tom Brokaw is from, well, if you figure out that accent, let me know.

Peter Jennings is from the state of "my main squeeze is a liberal Middle Eastern chic who reports for some pro-terrorist Jihad rag and if I can participate in bringing down the USA and Israel maybe I can get a decent job in my own county."

And by the way, speaking of Israel, am fully aware that this next comment might bust the post entirely .. what's up with our Jewish Americans.

The USA is the only country on this Earth (more specifically the Republican party) that gives two hoots in hell for the continued existence of the motherand and you all vote 81% (2000) and 76% (2004) for the Democrats!?

If/when they get in (and they will), and ya'll get attacked by the bad people, you better hope it dosen't take a global conflab for someone over here to decide to help you out over there because the old line Euro trash might just pontificate long enough for your country to disappear all together.

Advice to those wanting to survive the next wave: get off the bi-coastal eliteist high horse and start supporting those that favor standing up for yourself.

Man, I'm on a roll today - just taking a break from BJ.

bfbagain

bfbagain: Yes you are. :) *NM*

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Only in Nevada!

> The original Spanish pronunciation, which no
    > one uses anymore, was actually
    > "Nay-vah-da." There's a September
    > article in the LVRJ regarding this matter
    > and the history behind the various
    > pronunciations. I found it interesting;
    > maybe others will, too. Link below.

I found one thing a bit strange about the discussion of the Spanish pronunciation. Since when would the "v" be pronounced as a "v"? It's pronounced "b" in Spanish.

Don

jgalt1

jgalt1: Re: Only in Nevada!

As a salesman I have found out the hard way--by the way the natives forcefully corrected me--how some cities were pronounced.

In Iowa their Nevada is pronounced Ne-vay-da.

In Southern Illinois their Cairo (Kie-row) is pronounced Kay-roe. Their Vienna (Vee-enna) is pronounced Vie-enna.

Tom Brokaw is from South Dakota.

Parker

Parker: What's really amazing . . .

. . . is when a single resident of a state, through sheer force of personality, can change the way in which it is pronounced.

Parker

Proud resident of "Callie-fornia."

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: And don't forget, when you visit NY, ...

... that our Houston Street is pronounced HOW-stun.

Don

Battery

Battery: Re: And don't forget, when you visit NY, ...

Don,

Speaking of New York oddities - is it still true that you will automatically get cream in your coffee unless you specify black ahead of time?

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: And don't forget, when you visit NY, ...

> Speaking of New York oddities - is it still
    > true that you will automatically get cream
    > in your coffee unless you specify black
    > ahead of time?

I am not a coffee drinker, but I never knew that to be the case.

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast