Thread: Don Schlesinger: Netscape problem

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Netscape problem

I know most of you guys don't ever use Netscape, but my question is really general in nature.

I have used Netscape since day one, and, despite the existence of Mozilla, Firefox, IE, etc., I really have never had any problems or concerns with Netscape other than the occasional times when apps and sites simply aren't created with Netscape in mind and don't work. When that happens, I use IE.

Anyway, two days ago, Wong's BJ21 simply stopped working on my Netscape, whereas all other sites, bookmarked pages, etc. continue to work perfectly normally. His home page comes up stripped of all frames, color, logo, etc., as if a bare-bones, primitive version of the regular site. What's more, clicking on any of the page names usually listed in the frames elicits zero response from the browser. The home page remains on the screen, and everything is dead in the water.

I wrote to both Al and Chris, and they swear they haven't changed anything, but I find it impossible to believe that the site would simply "die" overnight, while it continues to work 100% in IE and all my other sites continue to work in Netscape.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Don

David Spence

David Spence: Re: Netscape problem

One possibility is that style sheets have been somehow disabled. That would explain the bare-bones look, and could also explain the lack of functionality. I haven't used Netscape in some time, so I'm not sure how to check whether style sheets are enabled, but you might look up "enable style sheets" or something to that effect in Help. It may be something similar to the following, which I found from a Google search:

Go to the Edit menu and select Preferences
    Select "Advanced" in the left panel
    To enable: make sure the "Enable JavaScript" and "Enable style sheets" check boxes are checked.

After making sure style sheets (and Javascript) are enabled, do a hard refresh by holding Shift as you click refresh.

David

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Re: Netscape problem

> One possibility is that style sheets have been somehow
    > disabled. That would explain the bare-bones look, and
    > could also explain the lack of functionality. I
    > haven't used Netscape in some time, so I'm not sure
    > how to check whether style sheets are enabled, but you
    > might look up "enable style sheets" or
    > something to that effect in Help. It may be something
    > similar to the following, which I found from a Google
    > search: