Thread: fatcat519: Two Questions for Norm

fatcat519

fatcat519: Two Questions for Norm

1) I have CVCX Version 4.0.89. Is it possible to set up a betting scheme that starts with one hand and then spreads to two hands at a certain count? I'm using KO, for 8 decks, with IRC=0 and would probably go to two hands at RC=23 on average.

2) What is a netbook?

Thanks

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Two Questions for Norm

> 1) I have CVCX Version 4.0.89. Is it possible to set
    > up a betting scheme that starts with one hand and then
    > spreads to two hands at a certain count? I'm using KO,
    > for 8 decks, with IRC=0 and would probably go to two
    > hands at RC=23 on average.

CVCX is a post-sim calculator. It's actually not possible to calculate accurately moving from one hand to two hands in a post-sim calculator since the count frequencies are affected. I came up with a scheme that estimates quite closely the results. However, the scheme only works for balanced counts. Sorry, you would need CVData for that.

> 2) What is a netbook?

Generally a cheapish laptop designed for wireless I'Net use.

fatcat519

fatcat519: Thanks for the prompt reply

> CVCX is a post-sim calculator. It's actually not
    > possible to calculate accurately moving from one hand
    > to two hands in a post-sim calculator since the count
    > frequencies are affected. I came up with a scheme that
    > estimates quite closely the results. However, the
    > scheme only works for balanced counts. Sorry, you
    > would need CVData for that.

What I have done in CVCX is to enter bets for two hands at the counts where I want to bet only one hand, each at about 70% of my normal one hand bet. Would that give anything close to a reasonable approximation?

In any case, I have another reason to get CVData, which is not a bad thing.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Thanks for the prompt reply

Well, sort of. The problem is that adding a hand reduces the frequency of high counts when you want them. So your real results will likely not be as good.

norm

> What I have done in CVCX is to enter bets for two
    > hands at the counts where I want to bet only one hand,
    > each at about 70% of my normal one hand bet. Would
    > that give anything close to a reasonable
    > approximation?

> In any case, I have another reason to get CVData,
    > which is not a bad thing.

Parker

Parker: More on Netbooks

> I'Net use.

True, but there is a little more to it than that.

First off, netbooks are tiny. The Asus Eee PC, one of the most popular netbooks, is about the size of a DVD case. They typically have a 9" or smaller screen, in widescreen format. While they have a full keyboard, it is much smaller than standard size, and takes a lot of getting used to.

They are also really light - under 2 lb.

Because of the small size, netbooks do not have an onboard optical drive. An external drive must be used.

However, they all have onboard Wifi. Many use solid-state memory in leu of a conventional hard drive.

Netbooks typically use the Intel Atom CPU, a single core 32 bit unit running at 1.6 GHz, and carry 512 MB to 1 GB of RAM.

That CPU is extremely energy-efficient, resulting in excellent battery life.

Finally, netbooks are cheap, most being under $500, and starting under $300.

The earliest netbooks ran a lightweight version of Linux. This met with a lot of consumer resistance, and most now offer Windows XP Home as an alternative, A shame, as the Linux version has much snappier performance, and once you're inside a web browser the operating system is pretty much irrelevant.

Netbooks are designed to be used primarily for surfing the web and checking e-mail. They are not meant to replace a full power laptop.

After the Asus Eee, most of the manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon, and netbooks are now available from Acer, HP, Dell, and Lenovo, among others. Sony went after the high end, offering a unit with built-in GPS and Verizon 3G WLAN, Windows Vista . . . and a $900 price tag.

Netbooks are cool, but you can pick up a used Dell D400 on ebay for $150 or so.

MJ

MJ: Re: Two Questions for Norm

> Sorry, you would need CVData for that.

How do you figure out the optimal bet schedule (or close to optimal) to enter into CVData?

Would using CVCX to determine the 1 hand bet optimal schedule and then taking 72% of all bets that are above the minimum bet yield the correct schedule for switching between 1 and 2 hands?

MJ