Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MJ: CVData

MJ

MJ: Re: Further problems

I followed your instructions but am still experiencing difficulties.

> 1. Reboot
    > 2. Make sure NOTHING is running
    > 3. Hold down the Windows button on the keyboard and
    > type R. A RUN box should appear.
    > 4. Type REGSVR32.EXE c:\windows\system32\Vsflex6d.ocx
    > /u
    > 5. Hit OK

This part works. I do it and get the message: c:\windows\system32\Vsflex6d.ocx succeeded
    I then hit ok.

> 6. Hold down the Windows button on the keyboard and
    > type R.
    > 7. Type REGSVR32.EXE c:\windows\system32\Vsflex6d.ocx
    > 8. Hit OK

When I do this part I get the following RegSvr32 message:
    The module c:\windows\system32\Vsflex6d.ocx was loaded but the call to DllRegister Server failed with error code 0x80020009.

Now what?

MJ

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Further problems

Security problem. Try, going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and click on "Run as administrator".

Then

Type REGSVR32.EXE c:\windows\system32\Vsflex6d.ocx
    Hit OK

If that fails, reboot, uninstall and reinstall from www.qfit.com/downloads.htm. Make certain you have Administrator authorization.

Trapper

Trapper: Re: Virtualization, Boot Camp and other techy terms

I won't defend the advertising. The ones I have seen exaggerate the differences between the two platforms. From my experience, setting up Boot Camp and installing Windows is no more difficult than installing any major application or OS upgrade. That may be beyond the ability of a complete newcomer to the computer world but that is what more technically minded friends and relatives are for. Anyone even remotely familiar with the latest mac OS will have no difficulty using Vista. Two button mice for Macs are a dime a dozen. On the whole, I think the new Mac OS and hardware will be a benefit to your business. I know that I would have bought sooner if I didn't have to deal with the hurdles of emulation or buying a box that would be otherwise useless to me.

If the ads are designed to give the impression that you can run any Windows application out of the box with no extra cost or difficulty then that is seriously misleading. I haven't seen that ad but I tend not to pay attention to ads. I suppose I have become so used to misleading advertising that it probably doesn't even register anymore. Deception and spin are becoming so pervasive on television news that it would be almost comforting if it were confined to adverting where it belongs.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Virtualization, Boot Camp and other techy terms

> Deception and
    > spin are becoming so pervasive on television news that
    > it would be almost comforting if it were confined to
    > adverting where it belongs.

Good point.

MJ

MJ: Re: Further problems

I downloaded the programs from your website, but my license number does not work anymore. How do I take CVCX out of demo mode?

MJ

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Further problems

e-mail me. Can't answer that here

bfbagain

bfbagain: Annoyance reduction

> Security problem. Try, going to Start, All Programs,
    > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and click
    > on "Run as administrator".

That works, but here's another recommendation: 1) disable the UAC. Change to the classic control panel and the "change the user account" control option will appear as a link. Click it and uncheck the checkbox. You'll need to restart - I think. 2) copy the command prompt to the desktop - as a shortcut - and then right click the shortcut, select properties/advanced and check the "run as administrator" checkbox.

These two options will greatly reduce the Vista annoyance factor - which is huge.

cheers
    bfb
    PS The Apple ads are cute. I never meant to imply that they are accurate.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Annoyance reduction

Unfortunately, turning off UAC causes yet another set of problems. Although it's probably a smaller set.

> That works, but here's another recommendation: 1)
    > disable the UAC. Change to the classic control panel
    > and the "change the user account" control
    > option will appear as a link. Click it and uncheck the
    > checkbox. You'll need to restart - I think. 2) copy
    > the command prompt to the desktop - as a shortcut -
    > and then right click the shortcut, select
    > properties/advanced and check the "run as
    > administrator" checkbox.

> These two options will greatly reduce the Vista
    > annoyance factor - which is huge.

> cheers
    > bfb
    > PS The Apple ads are cute. I never meant to imply that
    > they are accurate.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Turning off UAC

Vista standards do not allow application programs to write to the program directory. However, tens of thousands of applications do write there and would therefore fail. To get around this, Vista will automatically copy any file written to in the program directory to another directory and redirect writes and reads to that directory. This avoids massive failures of programs that don't follow the standard.

Sounds great. But this is a feature of UAC. To punish you, turn off UAC and numerous programs will fail with protection errors.

bfbagain

bfbagain: M$ evaluations

I've never been one to subscribe to the anti-M$ camp, but over the years, they have literally pushed me to the point that - although I'm not there - my dislike is nearing epic proportions.

On one hand, I welcome it as who turns down money today, on the other hand, how you can expect people to take you seriously when you advocate (I don't) or are expected to advocate inferior products and/or solutions.

I am so loathe to evaluate M$ products anymore, that it wasn't until this morning that I have started to evaluate Windows Server 2008.

When people ask me about new PCs that come with Vista, I have to tell them honestly, if at all possible to select XP. If they have any sense of adventure or are anything close to being computer saavy, I will recommend - at the very least - a dual boot option between XP and a linux flavor. If they're somewhat adventurous, but need the safety blanket of windows, then Xandros gets the nod. If Apple comes into the conversation, it too, will get the nod over M$.

I don't know who's running the show anymore over there (in Redmond) - not that it matters I suspect, but the overall disdain in techy community is at an all-time high.

Windows Vista is a major-league joke. I can only imagine what my viewpoint will be re: Windows Server 2008. How it will be able to keep up with CentOS (the Red Hat enterprise "free" edition) is beyond me. But we shall see.

cheers
    bfb

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: M$ evaluations

Windows is a shockingly bad operating system and it just doesn?t improve. Every day I have a few choice, short words for Bill Gates. But, I still use it because nothing else exists with its flexibility. I think that many of the people that avoid MS at all costs end up costing themselves because of the hoops they must jump through in the process. And cost is no longer an issue. You can buy a Dell refurbished, current dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 80GB drive, CD burner, DVD drive, modem, including Windows Vista & MS Works (word processor and spreadsheet) for $209.

For my websites I use Win2003. Linux won?t support my online calculators, BJStats or CVCX Online.

bfbagain

bfbagain: OS - by necessity

Yes, it's unfortunate that even when we'd prefer to use other operating systems, those of us who are involved with computer technology businesses still must be well-versed in the ways of Windows. It is just too wide-spread to ignore. Apple, at their peril, nearly didn't survive it's romance with being a niche player. And this is relatively recent I might add. If not for the iPod and their decision to go to OS9 (*nix), who knows where they'd be today.

I use XP on my primary laptop - the one that is stuck to me like a body limb, again, out of necessity. If iPhone can get their ssh together, I might be able leave my laptop occasionally. :-) I use Xandros on another laptop and whatever linux flavor of the month I feel like on the Dell (my third).

My desktop systems & servers are a mixture of many, with my primary server running CentOS 5 and my firewall/gateways systems hardened to the core.

My VPNs are ssh based, something that M$ still hasn't embraced, even though they're the most secure.

For those reading this, you should get into the habit of using a web anonymizer as accessing passwords in http, ftp and pop3 accounts is not too difficult.

Using a web anonymizer won't prevent someone from listening and intercepting the anonymizer login user name and password, but the forms submitted within the anonymizer, are encrypted and to the best of my knowledge are safe. SSL certificates can easily be faked and many people find themselves the victim of man-in-the-middle attacks.

cheers
    bfb

Wylie

Wylie: Apple is fantastic

I have two MacPros, an iMac, a Mac-mini and I'll be getting a Macbook Pro in a few weeks.

These are Intel machines. The MB and the CPU are made by Intel. They will load almost any modern OS. Apple, like many other companies sells their strong points. Most of what you see is true. I can plug in almost any device and it just works.

In my experience, most of today's neophytes don't need a computer, they only need an online device. After all, how many people actually buy more than Office and all that anti-malware? Neurotically updating and worrying about viruses is something I don't miss.

I'll be the first one to admit that I hated my Mac-mini for a long time. I refused to open a book and learn. Somehow, I thought it would be similar enough or I was smart enough to just "get it". A year later, I fell in love. The software automatically backs up to my four on-site and two off-site drives. That took something like five clicks to set up.

Installing XP was incredibly easy. The Macs downloaded boot camp, made a driver CD and prompted me to put my XP CD in the drive. After that, it was a breeze. Seriously, It is a "retarded-easy" OS. I use Office and I'm online a lot. Aside from that, I use CV products a lot. I purchased my 8-core just for CV products.

If a computer neophyte is having problems understanding what an OS is or what his computer comes with, his/her ignorance is the problem. Does anybody truly think a newby like that would find Windows Vista easier and more friendly? ALL operating system's have a learning curve. I have a feeling that these are the same people who think a perfume will get them laid, just because the TV ad said so. Stupidity goes way beyond operating systems, it is very sadly a way of life for most here in the US.

If an Apple computer won't load XP, it is broken or the user is inept. Apple can fix the computer, but the user has to fix him/herself.

Norm, I can tell we have a difference of opinion here. I once felt like you do. After owning one and forcing my self to learn the OS I realize that my prejudice was in my heart, not my head.

What do you want a computer to do that Apple cannot? It runs almost all OS'. The hardware is completely compatible with PCs. The MacPro is a standard PC. Apple, like many other companies, makes mini and fashion computers which are proprietary. However, their standard PC, the MacPro, is very very compatible. I have not found one piece of hardware or software that won't work.

I get a bit passionate. I was a butt-head and refused to see the beauty in the simplicity for almost a year. When I finally used OS X instead of bemoaning it, I was pleasantly surprised.

Virtualization software is also extremely easy to install. I'm not sure who told you this was a high-tech operation, but they were wrong.

My Apples just work. My wife is a photographer, I've used computers since CP/M was the "new thing". Apple comes with almost every piece of software that most computer users could want with very little worry about malware.

If you want to email me with any specific question, feel free. I'm not sure why you have seen a 20x increase in confused Apple customers. My guess is that they are new to computers and it is just part of their personal learning curve.

My last words are... Remember Apple makes PCs and they pre-install their OS. Don't confuse the hardware and the software. My Macs are fantastic Windows machines that also come with a simple and safe OS should you choose to use it.

-Wylie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12