Thread: Don Schlesinger: Laptop Problem

Don Schlesinger

Don Schlesinger: Laptop Problem

My son is having a problem with his laptop, which I have asked him to describe, below. Any advice or help that you might offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Don

Here is the problem I'm having with my laptop.

First, some specs:

Dell Inspiron 5160
    Windows XP Pro 2002 w/ SP2
    Mobile Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz, 512MB of RAM

I frequently run with the Windows Task Manager window open to keep an eye on CPU usage and running processes, as I tend to get over-ambitious with my multi-tasking from time to time.

The problem that I've noticed over the last few months is a drastic increase in the running temperature of the physical computer. I used to frequently sit on the couch with the computer on my lap or on the couch next to me, and at those times, I knew that obstructing the air circulation fan on the bottom of the machine would cause a rise in temperature, but nothing drastic. Also, the running of the fan was directly related to processor usage. If I was working on an Excel or Word document (relatively little CPU usage) the fan would remain off, and the computer would run virtually silently. If I was multi-tasking, playing a video and surfing 5 web browsers, the CPU usage would rise, and the fan would come on for a period of time.

Now, the fan runs 100% all the time, and regardless of what surface I have the computer sitting on (fan obstruction or not), the machine is physically hot. Untouchable on the bottom of the machine, and uncomfortable to rest your hands on the keyboard for a long period of time (two breaks so far in this post). Along with this, I've noticed a drastic increase in CPU usage and a drop in performace, seemingly due to the higher temperatures. This is heat to the point where my stickers w/ serial numbers, etc., have been almost cooked off the bottom of the computer.

Now granted, at rest, the CPU usages drops to normal low levels (3% right now with a web browser and instant messaging program open, 433MB of PF usage) but the fan never turns off, and the machine never cools down.

For the first time ever, during a multi-tasking frenzy the other day, my computer completely shut off with no warning. When I re-booted, I recieved a message saying that my CPU was shut down due to high running temperatures to prevent hardware damage, a message I'd never seen before.

Ultimately, before I get TOO long winded, my question is this: Is my computer running hot because something is causing increased processor usage, OR am I noting a decline in processor performace because something is wrong with my temperature control causing the machine to run hot?? And what can be done to fix these problems?

21forme

21forme: Re: Laptop Problem

Sounds like this could be a potential fire hazard! First thing I'd check is Dell's web site and make sure there were no recalls on the system or battery. Also pose the question to their tech support saying you're concerned about fire hazard and that will get their attention for sure. A 2.8 GHz machine can't be too old and is probably still under warranty. Warm is normal. Scorching labels is not!

Otherwise, make sure there's no dust blocking any of the openings. If you or he are techies at all, you can open it up and make sure a heat sink connection hasn't separated.

I think it's unlikely it's software-related. If something in task manager is using more than 50% CPU for a long time, then maybe.

Parker

Parker: Re: Laptop Problem

Sounds like some sort of cooling or hardware problem. Even sustained periods of 100% CPU usage should not trigger an emergency shutdown.

The cooling fan has an intake and an exhaust somewhere on the sides of the laptop. I'd blow these out with canned air - the problem may be as simple as airflow obstructed by dust or whatever.

If that doesn't do it, it is time for a visit to the local repair shop, or send it back to Dell if it is under warranty.

I would recommend against using it for any length of time while it is in this condition - it could cause permanent CPU damage, or even start a fire! I'd run it just long enough to to copy important files.

Rick

Rick: Re: Laptop Problem

I have the same laptop, but mine has the 3.06ghz prescott cpu. I run 2 instances of folding@home on my laptop and my cpu is at 100% usage 24/7 with a max temp of 72c. I would check the heatsink and fan, take the heatsink off and clean it, then clean the fan. Put some artic silver 5 on the chip and re install the heatsink and fan. Dell has had some heat issues with the inspiron series of laptops.