Thread: Cacarulo: Updating Linux distros

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Updating Linux distros

For those out there looking for a change in their Linux distros I strongly suggest PCLinuxOS 2007.

Sincerely,
    Cac

Parker

Parker: Care to elaborate?

> For those out there looking for a change in their
    > Linux distros I strongly suggest PCLinuxOS 2007.

> Sincerely,
    > Cac

What is so special about it?

Lately I've been running OpenSUSE on my main boxes, and Ubuntu (Xubuntu, actually) on an older laptop.

Vista may be the best thing to ever happen to Linux. :-)

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Care to elaborate?

> What is so special about it?

> Lately I've been running OpenSUSE on my main boxes,
    > and Ubuntu (Xubuntu, actually) on an older laptop.

> Vista may be the best thing to ever happen to Linux.
    > :-)

Agree!

Some comments from the web:

PCLinuxOS is an English only live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is uncompressed on the fly, allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD including a complete X server, KDE desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In addition to the live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive with an easy-to-use livecd-installer. Additional applications can be added or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via Synaptic.

Texstar and the Ripper Gang are pleased to announce the final release of PCLinuxOS 2007. Featuring kernel 2.6.18.8, KDE 3.5.6, OpenOffice.org 2.2.0, Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0, FrostWire, KTorrent, Amarok, Flash, Java JRE, Beryl 3D and much more. Almost 2 GB of software compressed on a single bootable live CD that can be installed to a hard drive provided it is compatible with your system and you like the distribution. Over 5000+ additional packages available through our Synaptic Software Manager. Please note: PCLinuxOS does not ship with Win32 codecs or DVD decryption software. Proprietary NVIDIA and ATI drivers available after hard drive install.

Besides, it is faster than the ones I had been using like SimplyMepis or OpenSuse. Moreover, the 3D desktop works perfectly with Ati Radeon and Nvidia drivers. However, you need to download those.

Sincerely,
    Cac