Thread: ES: Symantec Norton Products

ES

ES: Symantec Norton Products

Am I better off with Norton Internet Security or with Norton System Works, with Firewall thrown in for free? Why? Thanks in advance!

bfbagain

bfbagain: Re: Symantec Norton Products

Neither.
    Just get the Norton Anti-Virus. But you may want to check out grisoft.com, a.k.a AVG AntiVirus. click on link below

It's free, works great, and with less overall issues than Norton. If you have a router/dsl-cable modem, you already have a firewall that's adequate for home users.

If you want to feel better, get zonealarm from zonelabs.com

But between the new MS antispyware, avg virus, and a built in firewall with XP, or at least a router (from your ISP) you'll be better off.

All that, and for nothing!. Almost like open source. wow, what a deal.

cheers
    bfb

Parker

Parker: Re: Symantec Norton Products

> Am I better off with Norton Internet
    > Security or with Norton System Works, with
    > Firewall thrown in for free? Why? Thanks in
    > advance!

I agree with bfbagain. I used to use Norton Utilities way back when I was running MSDOS 3.1 or some such, and Microsoft was still spelled "Micro-soft."

However, Norton products have lately become bloatware, with a noticeable drain on system resources. I've had a couple of clients ask me to remove Norton AV from their systems because it slowed them down.

As bjbagain suggested, AVG antivirus (from www.grisoft.com) seems to work quite well, and has the advantage of being free.

Personally, I didn't see anything in the new Microsoft anti-spyware program to make me prefer it over Ad-Aware or Spybot: Search & Destroy, but the most important thing is to run something.

The free version of Zone Alarm from www.zonelabs.com is a perfectly adequate firewall.

I would also recommend downloading/installing Firefox and using it as your primary browser instead of IE, and using some e-mail client other than Outlook/Outlook Express.

ES

ES: Re: Symantec Norton Products

Thanks!