Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MGP: New Laptop?

Parker

Parker: Recovering data

I gave up on most telephone tech support a long time ago, when I realized that I was almost always more knowledgeable than the person on the other end, who would usually waste my time walking me through everything I had already tried.

When I run into a problem I cannot figure out myself, I turn to the various online forums. I have had far greater success solving technical problems in this manner than I have ever had with any tech support helpline.

If you still haven't resolved the problem, I suggest that you get hold of a Knoppix disk, boot it, and attempt to recover your data files. Knoppix is a "live" CD that boots a Linux system directly off the CDROM into your computer's RAM. You then use the tools on the Knoppix disk to transfer your data files to a USB pen drive, another hard drive, etc.

Once you have done this, you can then "wipe it out" and reinstall Windows.

You do not have to be a computer geek to do this. Below is a link to a website describing the procedure in great detail in non-technical language.

Magician

Magician: Re: HP Sucks

> The long and short of this story is my 7 month old
    > computer won't boot. It's in a loop. No safe mode, no
    > any mode, it just wont boot.

I found myself in just this situation last weekend. I generally leave my Dell on all the time but some installation or update required a reboot and when it did I got a Blue Screen of Death. I tried the last known good configuration and safe mode with the same result.

You might try what I did next, which was to hunt down my Windows XP SP2 disc and boot off that. This gave me the option to do a repair of my existing installation. About 45 minutes later I was up and running again. No data lost.

A word of warning. If you do this make sure you are properly firewalled before you connect to the internet. If you have SP2 you can enable the Windows Firewall. If not, you'll need to install something like Zone Alarm or Sygate Personal Firewall. Once you have a firewall running go to Windows Update and get all those patches again. Once they're installed you should be good to go.

Best of all, I never had to place a support call!

Greg

Greg: Re: HP Sucks

I have replaced the black cartridge in my psc-1315 twice in one day. Both times, I get the "something's wrong with the cartridge" error light and msgbox.
    78 minutes of HP online support later, and the technician I was instant-messaging came to the conclusion that I need to replace the black cartridge. I copied and pasted the first line of the conversation, where I had explained that I already had replaced it twice, (I had to repeat most of what I typed during the conversation; "norman"s english was pretty poor), and he instantly came back with "perhaps there is a problem with the printer."

Norman informed me that the warranty is expired, so he would be unable to assist me further, but I could solve the problem by purchasing a NEW printer. gave him the information off of my receipt which clearly showed that the printer is still under warranty, but he insisted that their database shows the printer as being out of warranty. I scanned the receipt and emailed it to him. He continued to tell me that the warranty (a one year warranty; the receipt is dated 4/27/05!) had already expired, then he closed the chat window. (I have a log of the conversation to confirm this.)

I emailed HP several times to find out if they had actually looked at the receipt; I ultimately received an email telling me NOT to continue emailing them, but never confirming the receipt (email also available as a confirmation of this). I called HP, and was re-directed to several different call centers before finding a number that would give me the support I was looking for.
    I asked, but was not able, to be connected with "Norman". I was told that HP cannot connect calls to specific technicians.

I asked to speak with Norman's supervisor. Again, I was told that HP cannot connect calls to specific people.
    I asked to speak with the customer service person's supervisor. (This resulted in a five-minute question-and-answer session before I finally resorted to "Tell me how to spell your name, then connect me with your supervisor, or I will go to the BBB with your name.") I got the supervisor.

The supervisor explained several times (I could barely understand him; he had a rather thick accent) that the warranty was expired because the printer was already very old when I bought it, even though it was new in a sealed box when I purchased it. Further, according to the sticker on the printer, it was only manufactured in August of last year! He then told me that I should have faxed the receipt instead of emailing it. He gave me a case number to reference if I should wish to contact the company further about this matter. He then connected me with a technician who spent the next ten minutes of the call telling me how to clear a paper jam (there never was a paper jam to begin with!)

He eventually came to the conclusion that there must be a problem with the printer, and that I would have to mail it to HP (I believe he meant I should ship it; his English was very poor as well), and they would send me one that they had repaired. And, if I wanted, he could request that they test it before sending it to me. And, this should take no longer that ten to fourteen business days. But, since their system says that the printer is out of warranty, I would have to pay for the repairs.
    He then gave me a case number that was completely different than the one given to me by the supervisor.

1. English! I realize that outsourced technical support is cheap, but it is also ineffective!
    2. I have a receipt that clearly shows an in-warranty product. Why is there any question about the age of the printer at the time of purchase?
    3. I have a receipt that clearly shows an in-warranty product. Why is there any question about the status of the warranty?
    4. If an emailed receipt isn't good enough, why would a faxed receipt be any different?
    5. There's a difference between "customer service" and "technical support".
    6. Why should I have to request the replacement merchandise be tested before it is sent to me? Does this mean that it normally is NOT tested after it is repaired?
    7. Three weeks... are you kidding?

Come on, HP. Get on the ball.

Greg
    Dayton, Ohio
    U.S.A.

MGP

MGP: Re: HP Sucks

Typical nightmare, sorry to hear you're going through it. I would go to this site:

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/execteam/email/hurd/index.html

and email him (ignore the part about going to Contact HP). I would explain exactly what's happening and make a suggestion e.g. "HP should have a better system for maintining their customer warranty information and that they should be able to update it when direct evidence is presented to them that the information they have is wrong."

I would make it less of a complaint and more of a statement of facts and minimize the English comments since they clear don't care or they wouldn't be outsourcing. I would also keep it short and to the point about the printer being under warranty and that the company refuses to acknowledge it. Offer to email/fax the receipt as proof and see what happens, but again, make sure it's phrased as a suggestion for an improvement to their support system and keep it polite.

The worst that can happen is that they ignore you as they have been. In my case they had someone near the top of the support ladder contact me directly and he gave me a way to contact him directly (I was fed up enough by that point that I just gave up on it anyway though).

The other thing is - have you tried going back to the store you bought it at and talk to them? They may be able to help as well.

Good luck.

MGP

Darrell

Darrell: HP Sucks

> HP sucks royal. I live an hour away from anywhere you can buy a computer or printer, unless you pay double at one of our small stores. In one week I had my hard drive crash (lost files) computer was only 18 months old. I had a printer stop working, Costco took it back, then after getting home with another HP, different model from Costco again, it said I had a paper jam and the cartriges would not allign. Didn't ever put paper into it. Will NEVER but another HP Product again!!!! Guess I will try DELL or something else for now on.

Darrell
    King City, CA

lagavulin62

lagavulin62: Re: HP Sucks

yes, simple solution, buy dell. had nothing but dell's since late 90's and never had any major problems. they have a super tech support program. I needed assistance once at 11:30 p.m. and they were there to walk me through the steps. also you buy them online. being from houston I'm probably a little partial but I think most would agree that they make a good unit, unless you're the type to build your own. checkout www.dell.com

Parker

Parker: Re: HP Sucks

To be honest, I've used HP printers for years, primarily because they are well-supported by Linux, and never had any problems with them. I have an HP 5L Laserjet that is about ten years old and still chugging away. I had a Deskjet 842C for several years with no problems before giving it to a friend, who is quite happy with it (of course, the price was right).

I presently am also using a Photosmart 7350 and a PSC1315 all-in-one, both of which have been problem-free, although I cannot get the scanner function on the 1315 to work under Linux. Fortunately, I have another scanner (an HP6200C, which has also been trouble-free).

I carry an HP350 compact printer with me on my road trips, primarily to print out boarding passes. It too has always worked perfectly.

I would feel comfortable recommending these printers to anyone.

I cannot comment on the quality of HP customer support because I have never had any reason to use it.

Burt Hollabaugh

Burt Hollabaugh: HP Sucks

Daughter has hp notebook under warrantee. The ENTER key will not stay on, it falls off. She contacted hp customer service to have it fixed. She sent it in. They contacted her and told her it had been damaged by spilling liquid on it, not true, you'd remember such an accident, but I guess it is part of their standard play book! Her fault, please pay $300. She protested and asked to speak with a manager, he told her $700! So now they want $700 to do a $50 job that should be covered under warantee. Hp, $1200 for a piece of junk computer, I am telling her to take $700 and buy a new Dell.

allan

allan: Re: HP Sucks

same thing is happening to me dude hp does suck un believable

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123