Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cacarulo: AMD or Pentium?

bfbagain

bfbagain: Tom's

I have been following Tom's Hardware Guide, and Anandtech ( www.anandtech.com ) for years. This comes up every so often, but really, it's not about Intel, or even AMD, they're so close, it's really not an issue. Either way, you're fine, and this will have to be done all over in a couple yesrs regardless.

No buyers remorse. I use them both. The hyperthreading issue is moot. It works.

cheers
    bfb

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Re: Would choose Athlon over P4

> Since AMD's processors require a
    > significantly lower CPU clock frequency to
    > achieve
    > the same performance as Intel's processor I
    > would expect the heating to be worse for
    > Pentium 4.

The Prescott is hotter than the Athlon 32. But, not as hot as the over twice as many transistors would indicate since the Prescotts 90nm technology makes use of lower power transistors. My Athlon had one quarter of the Prescott's transistors and gained 12-15 degrees F while running a sim.

> Also, the size of the on-chip caches matters
    > a lot in the need for cooling.
    > For simulation, I have noticed that a very
    > cheap AMD Duron at 1.3 GHz outperforms an
    > 1.8 GHz Pentium 4.

Yep. my 3.0G Northwood P4 ran sims only 20% faster than an Athlon 1.33G. But, it melted.

The Phantom

The Phantom: Re: AMD or Pentium?

In my professional experience the AMD would be faster for running simulations (and database/spreadsheet calculations), the Pentium faster at graphics.

However, one doesn't have to rely on experience, which can be subjective.

You could run benchmark programs and just let a computer program check a computer program. You may even have a benchmark program and not know it: Look in Norton Systemworks under Extra Features for "Performance Test." Also note you can download a free trial copy of HardInfo.

Anyway, for my 2 cents, I'd say the AMD was a better value, a better price, and -- because of a simpler but more brilliant architecture -- presents a faster CPU for all purposes except those involving heavy use of moving graphics.

> Thanks for your comments but I'm still
    > confused about which one is better. Norm
    > says that for running sims AMD is better
    > -which I tend to agree- but you say the
    > opposite. These type of contradictions is
    > what I also find on the web.
    > Agree that 3.2 is worth $50 more.

> Sincerely,
    > Cac

The Phantom

The Phantom: Re: My last AMD

Parker, I think your comments are on point.

If Norm had a Dell box with an AMD (although nonesuch exists) with the appropriate systemboard; and with the quality control that companies like Dell exercise -- with decent fans, heat sinks, etc.; then you'd have a valid one-on-one comparison.

As an aside, I suspect that many computer makers use "Intel" because it inspires confidence in the buyer -- Intel produces a fine product, but its reputation, like most giant corporations, often depends more on its advertising budget. That is, in the real world, in many commercial arenas, the better product can lose out to a better-promoted product.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Too late

I've just bought Pentium but will consider AMD for a future PC. Thanks anyway.

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

> In my professional experience the AMD would
    > be faster for running simulations (and
    > database/spreadsheet calculations), the
    > Pentium faster at graphics.

> However, one doesn't have to rely on
    > experience, which can be subjective.

> You could run benchmark programs and just
    > let a computer program check a computer
    > program. You may even have a benchmark
    > program and not know it: Look in Norton
    > Systemworks under Extra Features for
    > "Performance Test." Also note you
    > can download a free trial copy of HardInfo.

> Anyway, for my 2 cents, I'd say the AMD was
    > a better value, a better price, and --
    > because of a simpler but more brilliant
    > architecture -- presents a faster CPU for
    > all purposes except those involving heavy
    > use of moving graphics.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123