Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cacarulo: Which is the best Linux distro and why?

^j^

^j^: Re: Freebsd vs GENTOO

> FreeBSD is a great choise. Expecially if you
    > plan to configure you system yourself.

> Slackware is another if you like to compile
    > every thing from the source code.

Gentoo is extremely easy to update, emerge is fantastic. Actually Gentoo and FreeBSD share some concepts, but Gentoo is Linux, has much more applications and is extremely costumizable. I have tried nearly every distro, and for my desktop, Gentoo is just the best one, no comparison at all. And the installation was not so difficult, at least for me.

Parker

Parker: Re: Freebsd vs GENTOO

> Gentoo is extremely easy to update, emerge
    > is fantastic. Actually Gentoo and FreeBSD
    > share some concepts, but Gentoo is Linux,
    > has much more applications and is extremely
    > costumizable. I have tried nearly every
    > distro, and for my desktop, Gentoo is just
    > the best one, no comparison at all. And the
    > installation was not so difficult, at least
    > for me.

I'm glad it wasn't difficult for you. After studying the documentation and spending 8 hours compiling crap, I ended up with a system that would not #%&* boot. Screw that.

FreeBSD is supposed to be a tough install, but I had no problem with it. I like FreeBSD, but I haven't really found anything it can do that Linux can't do just as well, and as you mention, there are a lot more Linux apps (although most Linux apps can be made to run on FreeBSD).

As for updates, SuSE's YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool) does a fine job, as does Debian's apt-get.

ADOLFO pOMA

ADOLFO pOMA: RED HAT

I have a serious problem with the sound, I can not listen nothing and I try to resolve the problem , my version of linux is RedHat 9.0, please if anyone know how I can repair this damage, I will be pleasured with you
    thanks

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: RED HAT

> I have a serious problem with the sound, I
    > can not listen nothing and I try to resolve
    > the problem , my version of linux is RedHat
    > 9.0, please if anyone know how I can repair
    > this damage, I will be pleasured with you
    > thanks

Strange. There shouldn't be any problem with sound in RedHat.
    First you need to detect your soundcard. Go to System Settings/Soundcard detection for this.
    Then you need to adjust the sound volume. For this you should go to Sound & Video/Volume Control.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

PS: And don't forget to turn your speakers on first!

Parker

Parker: Re: RED HAT

> thanks

It's been a while since I have run a Red Hat box, but IIRC there is a sound configuration utility. Open a terminal and type "sndconfig" (without the quotes). You will need to be root. This will detect the soundcard and play a sample sound.

There is also (I think) a GUI utility that does the same thing. Open a terminal and type "redhat-config-soundcard" again without the quotes and you must be root. Then follow the prompts.

If your sound was working and then stopped, it is probably a hardware problem as Cacarulo suggested. One time I spent several hours on my system playing with configuration files trying to get my sound working after it had quit. Finally I found the problem: The connector from the speakers that plugs into the soundcard was not making contact.

spineless jellyfish

spineless jellyfish: Re: RED HAT

> thanks

If you just installed, RH9 mutes the sound by default. Just unmute it, either with KMix or with the shell.

id

id: Re: Freebsd vs GENTOO

> FreeBSD is supposed to be a tough install,
    > but I had no problem with it. I like
    > FreeBSD, but I haven't really found anything
    > it can do that Linux can't do just as well,
    > and as you mention, there are a lot more
    > Linux apps (although most Linux apps can be
    > made to run on FreeBSD).

If you stick to free software I don't know of any that won't run on FreeBSD, though they may not all be in the ports collection (which is up to 11,739 ports) . Also most commercial apps will run under the linux-base port.

The real advantage to FreeBSD is that it is a complete system including most userland stuff unlike Linux distros which use pieces from many different projects. And if you care there is also the philosophical difference between the BSD, GNU and Linux licenses.

There are other reasons as well! (see link)

Parker

Parker: Allllrighty!

The link was, ahem, not what I was expecting.

No argument here.

Thanks for providing my best laugh of the day. :-)

The Phantom

The Phantom: Ditto. A second kudo.

Parker you really do know your stuff.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234