Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Ah ha!

> The pages was 50. I left that alone. I
    > increased the other parameter -- how long
    > the visited pages are remembered -- from 9
    > to 30. I also cleared all the cache and the
    > history. for now, the gray pages are staying
    > gray.

This is the important setting. and one I misunderstood the last time we talked about this. I though that setting your days to 30 would remember all of the pages you've visited in the last month, however that just means it will remember the last 50 for up to one month, which doesn't help you.

For your situation, it's convenient to think of the "50 pages" setting as "50 messages," meaning it will only remember, and hence change the color of, the last 50 messages you've read. Considering these forums alone, you can easily read 50 messages in a day, and on busy days, nearly 100. Add to that the other sites you read (both forums and regular pages), and you're bound to see lots of links turn back to the default color.

Just in case the internal machinations of the history file aren't clear, it remembers each link you visit (for the sake of changing the link color so you know you visited/read it) by putting it on a pile in memory, Once the pile reaches 50, it starts to forget the ones at the bottom of the pile, hence only rememeber the most recent 50.

Bottom line, you need to pump that number up to something obscene like 500. The drawback is that when you load a page the browser will compare all of the links on the page to what's in your history list. With a large history list and a large page (like the main forum), this can slow down the speed at which the message index loads dramatically, depending on your computer.

So try entering 500 or even higher, and as the history file fills over the coming days, guage how much your computer slows down, and then shrink or grow the history setting to taste.

Hope that helps.

Good Cards,

V

Magician

Magician: Re: Ah ha!

> Just in case the internal machinations of
    > the history file aren't clear, it remembers
    > each link you visit (for the sake of
    > changing the link color so you know you
    > visited/read it) by putting it on a pile in
    > memory, Once the pile reaches 50, it starts
    > to forget the ones at the bottom of the
    > pile, hence only rememeber the most recent
    > 50.

> Bottom line, you need to pump that number up
    > to something obscene like 500. The drawback
    > is that when you load a page the browser
    > will compare all of the links on the page to
    > what's in your history list. With a large
    > history list and a large page (like the main
    > forum), this can slow down the speed at
    > which the message index loads dramatically,
    > depending on your computer.

> So try entering 500 or even higher, and as
    > the history file fills over the coming days,
    > guage how much your computer slows down, and
    > then shrink or grow the history setting to
    > taste.

> Hope that helps.

> Good Cards,

> V

I agree with your recommendation, but I doubt it will have any noticeable impact on performance.

The browser does not need to compare a link on a page with every link in your history to determine if the link has been visited before. It uses something called a hashtable to do the check in near-constant time regardless of the size of the history. Increasing the number of pages in the history should only increase memory consumption (but even 1000 URLs in your history should take up somewhat less than 1MB).

Magician

Magician: Re: Gotta tell ya

> Not true with Netscape 7.xx. Netscape is
    > faster than IE6.0. I've tried both. However,
    > as Parker has said, I'd love to try IE on a
    > Linux box. In fact, I'd love to see every MS
    > product working under Linux.
    > I also agree with Paranoid' comments that
    > developers should work a little more with
    > Netscape.

> Sincerely,
    > Cacarulo

I believe that Netscape Navigator 4.8 and earlier and Netscape 6 and later really are different kettle's of fish. Unfortunately, many NN4 users never made the transition.

Given a choice, my policy would be to support the latest version of IE and Netscape, and ensure the site is useable in a text-only browser. In the real world I have to support NN4 along with all its different bugs too.

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Problem is

You must either use the lowest common denominator of functionality, or constantly test for the browser and make accommodations. Most Netscape users use 4.7 & below. 4.7 has little DHTML support, no cross-frame communication and poor frame sizing. These all exist in IE4 and nearly all IE users are at IE4 or above. So, ?working with Netscape a little more? means not using valuable features that have been around for years, or ignoring Netscape users. If you have a moment, try http://www.ezdecide.com/demo/demo10.asp. Click on Start Demo and you will see a decision support application I put together. Netscape support was a nightmare.

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Problem is

> You must either use the lowest common
    > denominator of functionality, or constantly
    > test for the browser and make
    > accommodations. Most Netscape users use 4.7
    > & below. 4.7 has little DHTML support,
    > no cross-frame communication and poor frame
    > sizing. These all exist in IE4 and nearly
    > all IE users are at IE4 or above.

Agree about previous versions.

> So,
    > ?working with Netscape a little more? means
    > not using valuable features that have been
    > around for years, or ignoring Netscape
    > users. If you have a moment, try
    > http://www.ezdecide.com/demo/demo10.asp.
    > Click on Start Demo and you will see a
    > decision support application I put together.
    > Netscape support was a nightmare.

After enabling the pop-up windows for ezdecide.com I've entered the site and the application have opened a window with three choices. What should I expect to see? Or do you mean to say that programming that application is more difficult than with IE?

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

Norm Wattenbeger

Norm Wattenbeger: Re: Problem is

> After enabling the pop-up windows for
    > ezdecide.com I've entered the site and the
    > application have opened a window with three
    > choices. What should I expect to see? Or do
    > you mean to say that programming that
    > application is more difficult than with IE?

Try the tabs and the controls on each tab. This application uses DHTML and cross-frame communication to give the feel of a PC application with NO Java. (Java is a no-no on many corporate PCs.) It works under IE all the way back to IE3. But it tests to see if you are using Netscape and if so, it has to constantly reload pages making it slow, awkward, 'blinky' and requiring high server overhead. Plus, depending on the Netscape release, it can lose alignment.

Igor

Igor: (Message Deleted by Poster)

Cacarulo

Cacarulo: Re: Problem is

> Try the tabs and the controls on each tab.
    > This application uses DHTML and cross-frame
    > communication to give the feel of a PC
    > application with NO Java. (Java is a no-no
    > on many corporate PCs.) It works under IE
    > all the way back to IE3. But it tests to see
    > if you are using Netscape and if so, it has
    > to constantly reload pages making it slow,
    > awkward, 'blinky' and requiring high server
    > overhead. Plus, depending on the Netscape
    > release, it can lose alignment.

It looks pretty well but you're right about the alignment. It's lost in some places.

Sincerely,
    Cacarulo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123