Sentry

Sentry: Suspicious Emails?

I Here is a list of mysterious emails I have received in the past few days:

AFUKE Cntrlrow Tue 08/20 13k
    postmaster Undeliverable mail--"cntrlrow" Mon 08/19 13k
    JHarts1051 Worm Klez.E immunity Mon 08/19 19k
    Jlbam The Garden of Eden Sun 08/18 13k
    norm Document.write( Sun 08/18 3k

Some of them contained no text, but I did not open them all. None of the emails had attachments, but they look mighty suspicious to me. Has anyone else received anything similar?The "Norm" email had a return address of Qfit, but the real Norm has another email adress for me.
    Is this the work of some demented Blackjack saboteur?

Sentry

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Klez

They are being sent by PCs with the klez virus. The from addresses are randomly pulled from the senders' address books and are not the real addresses of the senders. You probably don't have the virus yourself. If you don't have up to date anti-virus software, you can download a klez checking tool from http://[email protected]. But, it is a pain to run. It won't stop the e-mails though. Someone else might know an easier checker.

Parker

Parker: Klez indeed

As Norm mentioned, it is not a "blackjack saboteur," but just an unfortunate individual with an infected computer who apparently has a lot of advantage players in his e-mail address book.

The virus is capable of sending itself to any address in the infected computer's address book, and using any other address in the book in the "from" field.

I get these all the time, but I have noticed a definite increase in the last couple of days.

You are probably not infected, but if you have anti-virus software, it might be a good idea to make sure your virus definitions are up-to-date and do a full scan of your hard drive.

If you don't have AV software, you should get some. Thanks to a tip from Viktor a few months ago, I have started using AVG Anti-virus on my Windows computers. It seems to work as well as Norton and McAfee and has the advantage of being free. I have included a link below.

> I Here is a list of mysterious emails I have
    > received in the past few days:

> AFUKE Cntrlrow Tue 08/20 13k
    > postmaster Undeliverable
    > mail--"cntrlrow" Mon 08/19 13k
    > JHarts1051 Worm Klez.E immunity Mon 08/19
    > 19k
    > Jlbam The Garden of Eden Sun 08/18 13k
    > norm Document.write( Sun 08/18 3k

> Some of them contained no text, but I did
    > not open them all. None of the emails had
    > attachments, but they look mighty suspicious