Thread: LVBear584: Question from a "computer-ignorant" large animal

LVBear584

LVBear584: Question from a "computer-ignorant" large animal

I will be out of town for five days next week on a playing trip.

I want to access my email (to read and send) and the BJ boards from another computer, probably at the public library.

How can I do this?

Parker

Parker: Re: Question from a "computer-ignorant" large anim

> I will be out of town for five days next
    > week on a playing trip.

> I want to access my email (to read and send)
    > and the BJ boards from another computer,
    > probably at the public library.

> How can I do this?

The BJ boards are easy, just punch the URL into the browser. You will need your passwords if you want to post (or visit members-only websites such as Green Chip or Don's Domain) since the library computer won't "remember" them. Make certain that when it asks, "Do you want Explorer to save this password?" click No.

I'm not familiar with how AOL e-mail works, so I'm assuming it works like any other POP3 based e-mail. If not, hopefully someone will jump in.

You will need to know the address of your mail server. This is probably something like mail.aol.com. You should be able to find this somewhere on aol's homepage. There may even be a tutorial somewhere on this topic. Or call support and ask them.

Open the e-mail client (probably Outlook Express) on the library (or whatever) computer, access the preferences, and go to "account setup" Enter the POP3 address and your username. Set the preference to "leave mail on server." This way, you can still download your mail onto your own computer when you get home.

Then just click "check mail" It will ask for your password. Again, don't let it store the password.

That's pretty much it. When you are finished, you will want to delete any e-mails you downloaded, remove the e-mail account you created, and delete your browser history and temporary Internet files, unless you don't care if the next person who uses the computer sees what you were looking at.

You might want to consider purchasing a laptop. You can get used low-end Pentiums starting around $300 now, and these are perfectly adequate for checking e-mail and light-duty web surfing. I never go anywbere without one.

B-26

B-26: AOL email

> No. I'm not familiar with how AOL e-mail
    > works, so I'm assuming it works like any
    > other POP3 based e-mail. If not, hopefully
    > someone will jump in.

I don't think AOL's email is POP3, but you can just go to www.aol.com to check email via "AOL Anywhere".

Parker

Parker: Thanks!

> I don't think AOL's email is POP3, but you
    > can just go to www.aol.com to check email
    > via "AOL Anywhere".

The things I learn while hosting this site. :-)

AOL's e-mail is indeed not POP3 based, but can be accessed from anywhere just as you describe. It is not necessary to have AOL software installed on the computer that is being used, nor is it necessary to configure (or even use) an e-mail client. A web browser is all that is needed.

LVBear584

LVBear584: It works!

I tried the BJ sites and email from another computer today.

Thanks, Parker, and thanks, B-26.

-- LVBear584