Thread: Harold Harvey: Printing Using On-line Mapping Services

Harold Harvey

Harold Harvey: Printing Using On-line Mapping Services

I recently used an on-line mapping product (MSN?s MapPoint) to locate and map an address in an unfamiliar blackjack town. When I tried to print the map, I received an on-screen message informing me that the computer could not recognize the port, that I should make sure the printer was connected. The printer was indeed connected. Subsequent to this incident, I discovered that I could not print anything from any program!

Rebooting the computer solved the problem of not being able to print using any software. However, the problem reappears every time I try to print using MapPoint OR ANY OTHER ON-LINE MAPPING SERVICE. Once this happens I am unable to print anything ? period ? until I reboot.

I print from off-line mapping software frequently with no problems. What is with these on-line mapping services? Is it their problem? Is it a problem with my computer? Do I need to reinstall a print driver?

Norm Wattenberger

Norm Wattenberger: Could be

overloading printer memory. Or, a browser problem. Try another browser. If all else fails, display the map in the browser. Click ALT-Print Screen. Invoke Microsoft Paint under Accessories. Click CTRL-V to copy the map into Paint. Print from Paint.

Parker

Parker: Printer problems

My apologies for not responding sooner. I was hoping someone else would jump in (Thanks, Norm).

I agree with Norm that it sounds as if your printer's memory may be overloading. This will cause the printer to lock up. A full re-boot will purge the printer's memory.

You might try going to the printer manufacturer's website and downloading and installing the latest driver for your version of Windows.

It may not solve the problem, but, like chicken soup, it couldn't hurt. :-)

Loco

Loco: Two all purpose solutions

> You might try going to the printer
    > manufacturer's website and downloading and
    > installing the latest driver for your
    > version of Windows.

> It may not solve the problem, but, like
    > chicken soup, it couldn't hurt. :-)

You're right that it can't hurt. There are two actions that are almost always worth trying.

1. Install the latest driver.
    2. Install the latest operating system patches or service packs.

Unfortunately, software has bugs. It's a fact of life. Software companies learn about these bugs when users report them. Service packs contain the fixes to known problems. Therefore they are usually worth installing (except for the time when a buggy service patch is released, but that's a different story). Like Parker said, they might not fix your problem, but they usually don't hurt.

Harold Harvey

Harold Harvey: Partial success

> overloading printer memory. Or, a browser
    > problem. Try another browser. If all else
    > fails, display the map in the browser. Click
    > ALT-Print Screen. Invoke Microsoft Paint
    > under Accessories. Click CTRL-V to copy the
    > map into Paint. Print from Paint.

Installed the latest version of Internet Explorer -- NO JOY

Installed the latest driver for my Canon printer -- NO JOY

Tried your Microsoft Paint suggestion. That worked! It is a hassle, but at least it works.

My next step is to try a non-Microsoft browser.

Thank you.