Thread: zengrifter: OpenOffice VIKTOR

zengrifter

zengrifter: OpenOffice VIKTOR

Viktor recommended -
    OpenOffice - Free
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    --------------

I d/l'd and unzipped but all I have now is a folder with a bunch of files in it and no .exe - did I blow the d/l? zg

zengrifter

zengrifter: Re: OpenOffice VIKTOR

> Viktor recommended -
    > OpenOffice - Free
    > http://www.openoffice.org/
    > --------------

> I d/l'd and unzipped but all I have now is a
    > folder with a bunch of files in it and no
    > .exe - did I blow the d/l? zg
    ------------
    i suceeded in opening it and i am amazed at how close or better it is to word, thanks. zg

Parker

Parker: Ain't it cool?

> ------------
    > i suceeded in opening it and i am amazed at
    > how close or better it is to word, thanks.
    > zg

How 'bout that? Note that there is more than just a word processor - there is a spreadsheet, presentation program, etc - a full-featured office suite, just like, you know.

And it is free, regardless of whether it is for business or personal use, or the size of your office (and the number of copies of it you may need).

It also handles documents in the .doc format fairly well, so you're compatable with the rest of the world.

Note that it is not only free, but open source as well. This means that you can customize it for your needs (or hire a programmer to do it for you).

zengrifter

zengrifter: Re: Ain't it cool?

> How 'bout that? Note that there is more than
    > just a word processor - there is a
    > spreadsheet, presentation program, etc - a
    > full-featured office suite, just like, you
    > know.

I tested it on Word, Excell, and PowerPoint and it 'excel-ed' on all fronts. clearly it is a snap to switch to a Linux system with tools like OpenOffice around. What does Windows Office sell for? zg

Parker

Parker: Micro$oft prices

> I tested it on Word, Excell, and PowerPoint
    > and it 'excel-ed' on all fronts. clearly it
    > is a snap to switch to a Linux system with
    > tools like OpenOffice around. What does
    > Windows Office sell for? zg

List price for Microsoft Office XP Professional is $579.00. Amazon has it for $499.99.

Note that if you own a business and have five workstations for your employees, you are required to buy five copies of Office.

Also note that Microsoft changes the format for Word documents every few years, forcing you to spend more money on upgrades.