Thread: Joe Miner: DC power for portable computers

Joe Miner

Joe Miner: DC power for portable computers

Through the advise given below about a back up portable computer, I have decided to get a Windows based perationg system back up. So I will look for a non Mac back up.

Now that this is decided, I have another question. I do a lot of sailing. The on board power system is DC, 800 amp hours from AGM batteries, no DC to AC inverter. Is there something I can use to connect,plug, my computer into that will get power directly form the on board DC power.

Parker

Parker: Voltage?

> Through the advise given below about a back
    > up portable computer, I have decided to get
    > a Windows based perationg system back up. So
    > I will look for a non Mac back up.

> Now that this is decided, I have another
    > question. I do a lot of sailing. The on
    > board power system is DC, 800 amp hours from
    > AGM batteries, no DC to AC inverter. Is
    > there something I can use to connect,plug,
    > my computer into that will get power
    > directly form the on board DC power.

What voltage is your onboard DC power? If it is 12 volts, then you have several options.

There are car adapters available for most computers that are made to plug into a cigarette lighter socket. These could easily be modified for your application.

I got one for my Dell laptop from buy.com.

Another option would be a small inverter to convert the DC to 115 VAC. These can be found at most auto parts stores or electronic shops for around $40. Again, they are made to plug into a cigarette lighter but could easily be modified. I have one of these that I got from Radio Shack.

If your onboard voltage is something other than 12 volts, then it is more complicated, but certainly not insurmountable.

Joe Miner

Joe Miner: Re: Voltage?

> What voltage is your onboard DC power? If it
    > is 12 volts, then you have several options.

Yes the on-board power is 12 volt. I will visit my local Radio Shack. Thanks. I knew you would have the answer.

As it is I turst most of the answeres I get here. Unlike some other sites that I visit less frequently each day.

Quanity of a site is very important. You and the others at rge must be proud of the product. Congratulations to you all for having the courage to run a quality site.

Parker

Parker: Re: Voltage?

> Yes the on-board power is 12 volt. I will
    > visit my local Radio Shack. Thanks. I knew
    > you would have the answer.

A small 12v to 115v inverter has several advantages over a car adapter for a computer. For one, it will work with any computer. You can also use it with other small appliances - just be careful not to overload it.

Also, shop around a bit. Radio Shack has them, but IIRC, they are a bit pricey. I seem to recall seeing one recently at a local Target store. Also try auto parts stores, such as Autozone or Kragen.

> As it is I trust most of the answers I get
    > here. Unlike some other sites that I visit
    > less frequently each day.

> Quanity of a site is very important. You and
    > the others at rge must be proud of the
    > product. Congratulations to you all for
    > having the courage to run a quality site.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

There used to be a grocery store chain that always ended their commercials with the tag-line, "Tell a friend!"

Please do. :-)