Thread: Joe Miner: Backup portable computer

Joe Miner

Joe Miner: Backup portable computer

I am considering getting a backup or second portable computer. I am using a Gateway now.

Others have suggested Mac but I am concerned about compatibility if it is to be a true backup. What are your comments about 1) Mac in general and 2) as a back up to a non-Mac cumputer?

Parker

Parker: Macs and backups.

> I am considering getting a backup or second
    > portable computer. I am using a Gateway now.

> Others have suggested Mac but I am
    > concerned about compatibility if it is to be
    > a true backup. What are your comments about
    > 1) Mac in general and 2) as a back up to a
    > non-Mac cumputer?

I don't use Mac's at all, so I really can't comment intelligently on them in general. Viktor is a Mac guy, so maybe he will jump in.

I don't think it would be a good idea if the primary purpose is to be a backup to your PC laptop.

First, you have the compatibility problems with two different operating systems. You can network two PC's just by connecting the serial or parallel ports together, or with a couple of PCMCIA Ethernet cards and a crossover cable. All the necessary software is included with Windows. Swapping files back and forth between a PC and a Mac is more complicated.

In addition, you would have to learn a new operating system. While Macs are touted as being extremely user-friendly, there are still bound to be many new things to learn.

Finally, I've noticed that used Mac laptops seem to hold their value better than used PC laptops. Right now you can find low-end Pentuim laptops that are adequate for use as a backup for as little as $300.

scobee 1

scobee 1: Re: Backup portable computer

In defense of Macs, they are presently the fastest laptops available. Connectix has a fine emulator that will allow you to use the operating system of your choice..XP, 2000, NT, Win'98, or even LINUX ....( there I got it spelled write this time....nimble fingers..NOT.) :-)

This allows you to not only exchange files back and forth from the PC to the Mac, but actually port all your PC applications to the Mac from you PC desktop (or laptop) through an ethernet connection. You will lose some speed, but then you gain the elegance and ease of use that the new MacOS offers for free. The OSX system is based on a UNIX kernel and will in theory never crash. The Connectix Virtual PC will set you back something around $150, unless you have a CD with your preferred operating system lying around. You could probably get it for the price of postage if you ask the right people. Viktor could probably tell you more, but I am here to say the Mac laptops are pretty spiffy these days and priced to sell. Firewire, ethernet, CDRW, DVD-RAM, and other options are either standard or easy to include. I prefer the new ibook since it is small and durable, but the large screen titaniums are amazing if you have the dinero.

Now that I have led you down the Macintosh path, one caveat. I have been lusting after the Sony for a while since the internet is basically a Wintel world. Consider the Mac as a Ferrari that you would hardly ever get up to speed on the information highway, and if aesthetics are as important as practicality, give it a good look.

All Microsoft and Adobe files can be read by either Mac or Windows. The blackjack software for Mac is meager, but with the Virtual PC that should not be an insurmountable problem.

Viktor Nacht

Viktor Nacht: Re: Backup portable computer

If it's mission critical to have a back-up laptop, then getting one with the same OS is really the best choice as Parker mentioned.

And if in fact it is truly mission critical, then the backup should have the same version of the OS as the main, and the laptops should be the exact same make and model with identical options.

But at a minimum sticking to Windows on both is a good idea.

The points Scobee 1 made about the Mac are all true as well. With Microsoft Office X, Internet Explorer, and built-in file sharing capabilities, Macs are fully compatible in a Windows work environment. They can run PC programs in an emulator nearly as fast a desktop PC.

If you were to buy a new primary laptop there would be no compatibility reason to avoid a Mac, but for a backup of a Windows machine stick with another Windows slab.

Good Cards,

V